HybridZ

81 L28ET crank pulley bolt

winstonusmc

Searched a little couldnt come up with much. I am about to install an 81 L28ET crank pulley to use the trigger wheel for my MS3. I tried to install it on my spare motor an noticed that the crank bolt from the 82 L28 is shorter. Where are these longer bolts available from? The crank is way down in the pulley so far no threads engage on the bolt. I assume its deeper to make more room for the trigger wheel.

Unless you had an aftermarket A/C pulley in there, it should fit.

Most people use the longer bolt from the KA 24 in conjunction with a far thicker washer to get proper clamping on everything up front. You should consider that.

The 81 L28ET pulley is no different thickness wise than an 82 or and 80.... The timing ring is bolted on to the pulley with three bolts and indexed by a nib in the pulley itself. 

The only difference is what washer you are planning to use, and if the woodruff key got hung up and you're not fully seated as a result.

The middle of the pulley is thicker when you compare them side by side, probably to make room fro the trigger wheel bolts in the center. Its way thicker than the L26 pulley that came off the motor its currently residing on. I will snap a photo of it on monday. All in all, its thicker than both the L28ET pulley thats on the car now with A/C and the L26 pulley.

Edited by winstonusmc

L26? The first post said L28.

Yeah, early/late are different.

But the KA24 Bolt and 1/2" thick washer (or more) is the way you want to go.

Look up the Extreme280ZXT site on Angelfire. (JeffP) he has the details on the bolt and washer and why you want to use it.

Don't be constrained by what was stock, there are better options out there, and in your higher horsepower application, you will want to avail yourself of them!

Here are the pics of said pulley.

IMG_20140323_201536_850_zpsyir29giy.jpg

This shows a crank depth of roughly 17mm. Think its not seated all the way?

IMG_20140323_201601_248_zpsroiifx7y.jpg

This is the space behind the trigger wheel.

IMG_20140323_201736_599_zpshw35lsvb.jpg

This is the L26 pulley with a crank depth of roughly 2.5mm. I dont feel like pulling the L28ET pulley off, but it was the same story.

FYI, there are 5 bolts holding the trigger disc on. I estimate that the bolt has to be 15mm longer, thats 57mm of thread vs the 42mm on the L26/28 bolt.