HybridZ

How to get this advance curve on a 280ZX distributor?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay, I've been calling around asking some q's about tuning and such for my built up L6. The guys over at Rebello have been very friendly and patient in talking with me over the phone and giving me some tips. One thing he mentioned to me was that to get this type of motor (L28 ovebored to 2.9, 10.3:1 compression, mild cam, SU carbs) to have good low end power was to mess with my timing, initial advance and total advance. He said for the best power and off idle response the car should have something like 20 degrees of initial advance, but then be limited so that it only goes up 16 degrees for a total of 36 degrees advance (I forget by which RPM) to avoid pinging. My question is how do you modify a distributor to only give you 16 degrees of advance over the idle setting?? I'm running a stock 280ZX dizzy with MSD 6A. The E12-80 module has been removed from the dizzy. He kinda gave me a little info on how to do this but I didn't really get what he was saying, so I was hoping someone could type it up in detail. Right now I can only run 10-12 degrees of idle advance and my car feels pretty much like a slug up until about 3k RPM, any more advance though and I get some ping.

Not exactly sure on the Z distributor, but on a GM distributor, there is a hole in the advance plate where the springs mount. There is a pin on the shaft. This assembly turns adding advance as rpm increases. The hole limits how far the assembly can rotate on the pin. For more advance, make the hole bigger. For less, braze it up and make a new smaller hole. Should be similar on the Z distributor. This is not taking into account vac advance. It is much easier to control total advance if you don't use the vac, but do as suggested.