HybridZ

Finally blew an axle.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZFan1-Where did yours break? Both of SunnyZs broke same as mine: driver side on the stub between the splines and the inner CV. Mine were fine until I switched from 26" to 28" tires (unless the crack started earlier). What tire were you running and where did the failure (s) occur mechanically?

Went junk-yarding yesterday and came home with two sets of spare axles.  I chose the axles based on which Z31Ts had the rearend jacked up already.  The first set of axles look good with intact boots.  the second car had bad rear wheel bearings and there was lateral play in the hubs.  Perhaps that is why the grease caps are bend to death?  This was a stock Z31T with no suspension mods, so it looks like under certain circumstances, the axles can bottom out even on a Z31!  I will have to disassemble the damaged axles to see if there is anything that I can use.  Will go ahead and build up another complete set of shortened axles from the set of spares that had good boots.

Here's a related question.  Watch the attached movie-does that amount of slack in the driveline look excessive?  The setup for this video is one rear tire off the floor (the other is ON the floor), car in gear.  Subject diff is an R200 CLSD with Z31T CV axles.  Tranny is a T56.  What do you guys think, do I need to tear down my diff and check backlash in the R&P, or does this look like the normal amount of drivetrain slack for a manual tranny?  Hopefully the video will load and play for you...

post-5903-0-64269800-1398663242_thumb.jpg

post-5903-0-99031000-1398663249_thumb.jpg

Slack.MOV

Edited by RebekahsZ

Were you able to look at the driveshaft to see how much of the movement was in it or was this all differential?

I'm going to have my car in the air Wednesday doing a thorough drivetrain inspection. If I remember I'll do the same test on mine to see how it compares. Only real difference in our set-ups is that I have the u-joint halfshafts instead of the CV's.

That's a really crappy way to try and check backlash. I wouldn't do anything at all based on that. You could pull the driveshaft and see what it does when connected to the trans, and then pull the CVs and try to feel the backlash at the pinion, but even that is hard to do because of the resistance of the pinion seal.

OK, good, you guys can see the movie.  JM-of course, I know it's ghetto, but if I don't take some shortcuts, my car will get no track time at all this summer!

I'm just hoping a brother will throw a jack under one wheel and share his results for comparison's sake.  I am not an expert at driveline repair, but I sure seem to be an expert at tearing parts down just to find out that they are fine.  I think what I'm seeing is just the additive effect of lash in the tranny, driveshaft, diff, output stub splines, CVs, and companion flange splines.  I would call this "total driveline backlash."  I'd like to see if it is excessive before I start looking at individual components, and you can be sure that the first individual component I will check is the diff, then I'll try to do it correctly.  I have a buddy with a non-Z drag car with a solid spooled 9" axle and an auto trans-he had almost no total driveline backlash-does that mean my stuff is goofed up, or is it not a fair comparison??.   Phantom, I look forward to your findings, plus the findings of anybody else who is willing to check.   Only three tools are required: a jack, a sharpie, and a smart phone camera.

Edited by RebekahsZ

RebekahsZ - Did the same test you did. T56 in 1st gear, passenger rear wheel off the ground and drivers side on the ground, R200 LSD with u-joint halfshafts. Watch the valve stem closely. Total rotational movement less than 1". Something is definitely not what it should be in yours with that much difference.

Real reason we were jacking the car was to find the source of a low speed, low load vibration/rattle in the rear end. Turns out that both the bolts holding the R200 to the mustache bar were loose enough to be able to turn the lock washers by hand. Oops. Tightened them up good and noise is no more. Happy camper here.

IMG_4019.MOV

Edited by Phantom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Found problem-driver side axle is too short and the CV cage jumped out of the outer CV housing. Then the axle slammed the inner CV deeper into the case and bent it at the press fit of the stub to the CV housing, the stub pushed thru the CLSD carrier and kicked the passenger side axle part way out of the diff and trashed the oil seal. Weird that this setup held up for two years, although I did mess with the camber some, but I think I actually pushed the wheel in some, but I had just lowered the car which reduced spring pre-load...I dunno. I think all the planets were just in that majic spot to make a borderline situation manifest itself. One thing for sure is that the axles need to be tight enough to lengthen about 1/4" from full droop to full squat. So I now need to make the driver side 3/4" longer and the passenger side 1/2" longer. I have an extra set of CVs to make up a pair of axles and I have some stock shafts. Will mock up several options tomorrow night and see what I can come up with. A modified Z is never boring. At least I now know to mock up totally on the car with the CV boots pulled back. I thought I had all the lengths perfect, but I think the little jiggle of free play that I was feeling in the past was just the play between the inner CV and the snap ring that golds it into the diff. I fooled myself.

Swapped a short stock Z31 shaft in place of the passenger side M2 shortened shaft and swapped the long M2 shaft to the driver side and mock up without boots looks great. Time to tear down, grease, install boots and get it back together. These CV axles are easy to work with when they are clean and don't have 40 years sticking each piece together. Need to get to junk yard and pick up another set to have on standby. The splines are tighter on the stock CV axles than the custom shafts that accounts for a bit of my total driveline slack. Back to work so I can drive to work tomorrow. Daughter got a zero on band today cause I drove her jeep to school and got away with her sax in the trunk. Oops. Way to go Dad.

I have a 72 521 truck, LZ 2.3 /stick, I bracket race. (13.60's @ 94mph) I cant run a 2 step in my class, so I had to find a way to leave on the high chip (7k) without it coming apart. This is what worked for me.  

48141912-SwiftToolETRace14andJr108-24-20

Plumb a line lock between the clutch master and slave. (39.95 Summit). On each side of the line lock, put a T running to a one way adjustable valve. (28.00 McMaster Carr)

IMG_1895.jpg

IMG_1897.jpg

Wire the line lock to a switch on the shifter so it is only activated when pushed in 1st gear. It diverts the fluid through the valve so you can control the flow and reduce the shock. Once you get it set you can lock it down with a locknut.

IMG_1900.jpg

Three years of abuse without a failure. Push the shifter forward, mat the pedal and let it go.

Sorry for the thread jack. Just trying to help. My V8Z digested the stock halfshafts last week (auto) so I feel your pain.