HybridZ

Trans Twisted

jonnymerc

hey Guys im putting my engine back in after a fresh rebuild its and l28et and trans in to a 72 240z. for some reason the trans is twisted putting the shifter far off left of the shifter boot hole no were near center. could it be the engine mounts? I've swapped them off the block several times just a slight difference. need some help thanks 

Maybe some pictures of how everything is sitting in the engine bay and trans tunnel might help see a problem.

You said you've swapped engine mounts from side to side with only minimal difference?

Does the engine look like it's sitting correctly in the engine bay? (remember the L-series leans towards the right side of the car)

You can't attach the engine to the trans in a different "clocked" position than correct, so that's not a posibility.

I'd have to go with engine mounts swapped side for side, if I had to guess at this point.

The engine looks to be sitting correctly in the second picture, though it's difficult to really judge based on how little is there.

What it looks like is that the drivetrain is twisted about its vertical axis. In other wards the tail of the trans looks too close to the left side of the car which would make the front of the engine too close to the right side of the car.

You may have to loosen the 4 bolts off that mount the engine brackets to the rubber mounts and give the engine a twist to get it to line up correctly. IIRC I had lots of play about this axis when I had my engine out last time.

What car is the transmission from?

240SX will bolt directly up, but will be clocked WAYYY off. Z22/24 from a truck or 200SX will be clocked wrong by 15* or so.

You may have a Z-series transmission...engine is tilted differently, but the bellhousing bolt pattern and dowel pins will line up between all three engine families.