HybridZ

Vq35HR and A/C

acfitzzzz

Hi Folks,

I am weighing the options between a VQ35 swap and  RB26 swap. I have been scouring the posts and threads to find out if anyone has successfully done a VQ35 swap and retained the A/C compressor. I have used the search feature and only found passing reference to the subject, or found that most people just forgo the A/C unit. Living in San Diego it can get pretty warm and I would rather keep the A/C, or perhaps look at an RB26 swap instead and keep the A/C. The car I am looking at swapping with is 1975 280z.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

Hey,

Sadly I haven't heard anyone being able to keep the AC compressor on the engine.
It sits in the way of the steering column.

It kinda sucks as I would like to keep it too.

I know I'll be looking into this but I'm a year off starting my build :(

Would love to find a way around this too.

Best of luck

Hi Folks,

I am weighing the options between a VQ35 swap and  RB26 swap. I have been scouring the posts and threads to find out if anyone has successfully done a VQ35 swap and retained the A/C compressor. I have used the search feature and only found passing reference to the subject, or found that most people just forgo the A/C unit. Living in San Diego it can get pretty warm and I would rather keep the A/C, or perhaps look at an RB26 swap instead and keep the A/C. The car I am looking at swapping with is 1975 280z.

Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

We've been looking at how to go about it for a while now.  Factory AC is in the way of the steering shaft.  Docaam found that a pathfinder steering gear can get around the AC compressor.  I'm trying to figure if I can run it under the compressor, but I think the headers will be in the way.  Another idea he came up with is to use a Toyota AC pump in place of the stock VQ PS pump.  Might work.  Another Idea I was going to look into is maybe using an electric AC pump from a Prius.  Hard to figure.  If you think up anything else, let us know.

Phar

Do you already have the HR engine?   I've been working on the same swap, but the body's had some issues so I've been a little slow at it. I'm hoping to get back into it pretty soon. Let me know and I'll try to help you figure things if I can.

• 1 month later...

I haven't finished it but after going through different ways of doing it finally managed to install the AC compressor in place of power steering pump with some custom brackets.

Engine is not running so havent checked it but it seems fine

post-13922-0-88347800-1402307765_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-29349100-1402307773_thumb.jpg

post-13922-0-50709600-1402307776_thumb.jpg

Nice Job.   could you detail how you mounted it a little better?   I'm very interested in putting my pump in the same area.

Sure man will update my thread with more pics as car is another city and last I saw it was in April :) soon and if needed can get copies done for people. We used Suzuki Vitara compressor as Corolla was bigger as well

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Pretty Nifty, I'm really liking the positioning.   I'm not sure I like how thin the metal on the top mount is, but it's a great idea.  I was looking at other pumps recently, and there's a lot of really little pumps out there, so I'm going to  look for some  that'll fit that bracket. I may have to weld up a spacer, two tubes parallel to each other, but it should work.  Thanks for being the first!  are you using the stock condenser/oiler/dryer/core for it all?

• 1 month later...

Pretty Nifty, I'm really liking the positioning.   I'm not sure I like how thin the metal on the top mount is, but it's a great idea.  I was looking at other pumps recently, and there's a lot of really little pumps out there, so I'm going to  look for some  that'll fit that bracket. I may have to weld up a spacer, two tubes parallel to each other, but it should work.  Thanks for being the first!  are you using the stock condenser/oiler/dryer/core for it all?

The top metal plate is just a supplementary support, main support if from the stock power steering pump bracket.

I am using universal condenser and oiler