HybridZ

manual or electric choke

Not sure if I understand your question correctly, but an electric choke is typically grounded to itself (somewhere on the carb body) and the hot lead is connected to a switched circuit.

My current Holley (4150) with electric choke works fine for me, but I have had electric chokes in the past that I couldn't get to work correctly and I eventually installed a manual system.

I would (and did) go with electric.  Easy to hook up by just adding to a connection on the "+" side that is hot when the ignition is in the "on' or "run" position and most will require a ground "-"  connection as well.  Grounding to the carb stud or bolt will usually work.    

I have used electric, manual and then finally took the damn thing off. I really liked the manual because I could tweak it exactly and I knew it was actually all the way open. I was slightly concerted about cold mornings, but was very surprised how little the lack of choke effected warm up. I am in Northern California so cold mornings for me are in the mid 30's.