HybridZ

Fairlady Z ID help

Yes, HS30-H, and I thank Alan for being far more charitable with comments from people giving bad information to you.

I WAS around (and in the USAF) in 1985. The Air Force didn't ship anything but Officers household Goods and the occasional POV via Cargo Space-A at that point in time. 

I know, the TMO screwed my shipping up, and it went so far as my congressman pushing all the buttons to get my stuff to me via this route. POV's went Surface Freight unless you were up there.

It wasn't the 1950's in SAC...

Incidentally, I agree with everything Alan has posted.

I will add with those stated offers, I'd sell it and buy another one.

Next offer you get like that, tell them you know a guy with S30-06225 (Alan can chime in with production details! LOL)

I will also add that for around $300 you can get a copy of the original "Deregistered For Export" Japanese Title. 

This will tell you sold date, when it left Japan, and in whose name it was registered in when it left the country. 

Obviously this would have been before it came to the USA. Likely a PACAF to USAFE Transfer.

PM me and I will send you a link.

Edited by Tony D
  • Like 1

And I still have my mind set in stone in not selling her. She is staying with me for good! I've always wanted a Z, any 240/60/80Z, NO ZX, and when this girl popped up, I fell in love immediately. Somebody else snatched her up that day and I was devastated. Then a year or two later she was available again and I jumped all over her. I've had her for 7 years now. I won't let her get away from me now! It's not about the money at all. She's my baby.

• 2 weeks later...

It didn't "die" lol it is still here. I work 50-60 hours a week and have plenty other work when I get home. It is now past 3 in the morning and the first time that I've been able to get on here in a while. I'm going to get a full history report on the Fairlady from the link Tony D gave me. I'll do that in a couple of weeks or so and relay the info on to you guys.

For what it is worth, I phone an old cell phone of mine and the phone number to the second owner was still in the phone. I contacted that number and it is still Mr Stephens! But here is the sad part... His original story of it belonging to an air force buddy in Europe, well, he said that honestly all he knows is that he owned the Fairlady and did the mods. He doesn't remember the original owner, what country it came from, who he sold it to, or anything. Pretty useless info there. And pretty disheartening. However, like I said, I will use that link to see who brought her out of Japan. The VIN def indicates a pure Japanese Fairlady so stayed tuned!

And due to my busy schedule, def won't be any real updates in the next week or so, so don't get your panties in a bunch!

I know the owner of HS30-00059 just contacted me for that same link.

Now the story with that one is that it's a "72"...(Alan...) and was purchased in Japan imported after hitch was over.

The US Governmental mindset does not work well with the rest of the world regarding production date as most countries try to have steady legislation regarding autos, and don't change them every year making "when" the bolts were screwed together a legally binding contract that says an idiot who doesn't check his tyre pressure will be protected from Darwining himself due to warning lights or ignition interlocks mandated by government edict on such-and-such a date!

Is the value of a "base model" Fairlady in the US... ummm... significant?  I mean, what might they be worth in average running condition?  I only ask (somewhat hesitantly) because I took possession of one briefly back in 93 or 94... long enough for a Z parts collector guy I knew and I to split the cost of buying it and then stripping it for parts.  I let him bring a pick up truck with a hoist and spend the entire day taking everything he could get off of it in exchange for paying most of the price of the car ($500 I think).  I kept the the diff and the gas tank, (and wanted the transmission because I assumed it was a 5 speed, but it wasn't) as those were the only parts of interest for me at the time - I was in full restoration and full debt load with my 240z at the time.  The next day, I carted it's pretty well stripped body off on a trailer to the salvage yard.  I felt bad because I knew it was somewhat rare, and it was "too nice" to throw away (no visible accident damage and not much rust either) but didn't have the time, nor the money to take it on.  

It had an L20A engine and 4 speed transmission with a 3.7 diff.  I believe it was a 73, but interestingly, it had the later style tail lights like the US model 260z, except for amber/red vs. all red.  Also, it had these weird floor mats... they were like really thick rubber in front and behind the seats.

Edited by inline6

That is a ZS model you chopped up there, lightest of the S30 L-Powered models.

Most don't know S from L...

Value is hit or miss. I usually peg the value at $1,000 over what a comparable LHD model would run IF someone was looking for an RHD model.

I've had them given to me...