HybridZ

turbo lags bad

I installed my boost gauge last night and make about 20psi of vacume, that was nice to see but in making boost first gear didn't make nothing, second and up made for and more and it maxed out a 9-10psi, now could it be a bad turbo, to many restrictions, not berring the peddle or what?? I know the turbo is bad but I'm wanting to know why my car lags so much and also I have 3.90's if that makes a difference.

tbs

Thanks jeff my car starts to spool at 2200 and I do here that load sckretch so bad turbo but if I floor it in higher gears the turbo makes boost I'm only running about 9-10psi right now. I'm also going to change out the 3.90's for the stock 3.54's I didn't really change them it's just it was a turbo conversion and I just left them in there. Thanks for the help and I also got in touch with Bernardd and he's helping me with understanding the computors.

tbs 2thumbs.gif

Guest Anonymous

It seem unanamous, you have a BAD turbo, replace it.The next thing I would do is run a fuel psi. gague. It will provide exellent "real time" information throughout all driving conditions.If your budget permits I also strongly recommend an intercooler, it will greatly reduce "turbo lag" as well as more horsepower. rockon.gif

There can be a number of reasons for turbo lag. You really did not provide much information as to when the turbo starts to spool or anything like that so let me try to explain from what my car did stock.

First of all the vacuum, is not an issue with the turbo, but the -20 psi indicates you are running a stock cam, and you have all the vacuum lines good, ok there.

Now there are two conditions you are dealing with on the non boost conditions(the time/engine RPM) before the turbo starts working. On the stock 280zxt, the turbo should start to spool by 2200 rpms, and when you get to 2500 rpms, you should easily be able to floor it and the turbo will got to what ever boost level you have set, or stock levels 7psi. A bad turbo will screech when it starts to spool, you will be able to hear it in the car and it may or may not continue during the whole time the turbo is producing boost depeanding on how bad off it is.

So if you are doggy, before you come up on boost and you know it is bad, then it is a fuel management problem, and nothing to do with the turbo. If you come up on boost and you can see it is boosting, and there is just nothing there when you push the gas then you need to look at why you have insufficient fuel. That is another whole topic for dicussion. If you are getting air as read by the gauge, and the car is not going, then it will be fuel related.

The rear gears, why the 3:90 gear set??? That makes a bad daily driver, the engine RPMs will be to high for driving down the road going to work or something like that. Additionally, regarding the turbo, you need to load the engine down to get the turbo going, and it has been said the 3:90 gear set hurts the ability of the turbo to boost. Myself I have never tried those gears. I ran the 3:54 and the 3:71 gears, that are in the car now. My turbo is spooled to 20psi @ 3000 rpms.

hope that helps you. smile.gif

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I just answered another post you had and the more I look at whats going on with your car the more I think you may need to give me a call. Check the exhuast housing for cracks that will give you a problem then do something about the fuel mixture sounds like the stock ECM and Murk injectors is killing you. JWT is kicking butt with Jeffp's set up maybe you should look at that.