HybridZ

3 or 4 wire o2 sensor

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'd like to replace my single wire o2 sensor with a 3 or 4 wire unit. Will any sensor work or is there a particular model that I can use?

Thanks

Dan

3 wire o2-grey = signal,2 whites = heater coil.on 4 wire its the same except black wire = ground.the reason for the heater is to get o2 woking faster on warmup.most smog produced by late model cars is during cold start before cats are hot enough to work.voltage on signal out is the same.

So Randy; on the Z turbo if you wanted to use 4 wire Os sensor. You would hook up the grey to the single wire that runs to the wiring harness/ECU. Then run black wire to ground side of the battery. Then the two white are for the heater where would they hook up to? To the 12 volt side of battery?

Guys,

Don't waste your time with these O2 sensors. Do a google search for "wide band o2" or UEGO. Others have explained it much better than I can.

This page has a good explanaition:

http://www.fjoinc.com/automotive/WBO2details.htm#wbo2rpm

I am in no way affiliated with FJO. In fact I built my own wide band o2 based on the design available at www.diy-efi.org

HTH,

Sam

Sam; Sounds really good and I know the 02 sensors are not very accurate. But I can't afford a "wide band 02" at the prices listed on that fjo wedsite! Just thought maybe a 4 wire O2 off a 91 Shadow could be just a little better than the single wire stock z 02.

Len

• 3 weeks later...

I just installed the 4 wire O2 sensor. It was originally for a 1992 Dodge Shadow. Works great! Seems more sensitive than my single wire. It had one black wire which was signal. one grey wire-ground tied directly to battery. two white wires for the heater. I tied one of the white to my keyed positive side. and I connected the black to my cars 02 sensor (also to my A/F gauge signal)that goes to computer. Then I connected the other white wire and the grey wire to my ground to battery along with my A/F gauge ground. I'm sure my readings may still not be as good as a wide band 02. But for me I know it was $40 well spent! :D