HybridZ

15x10 track wheels..

Doing some searching here I think I have my answer but would love if someone can verify....

I would like to run a 23.5x10x15 on the track car (1971 240z.) There are tons of wheel options at 8 and 10 inches (I would love to run 9's but there are few options there.)

From reading here the most backspace I can run is 4.5 inches on my basically stock suspension.  From what others post it would SEEM to me that I would need 5 inches of backspace.

I can aggressively roll the fenders but I can't flare it.

Anyone have experience with this?

(All of this is because I run the car under more than one sanctioning body, I am trying to be legal and competitive in both.)

You won't fit anywhere near 10" of wheel under the fenders. Many of us (myself included) are running 15x9's with stock fenders. at 0 offset, that's 4.5" backspace, and a spacer was required to clear the stock front suspension (5mm spacer was enough to provide roughly 1mm clearance, so I stepped up to a 3/8" (9.5mm) spacer for comfort. Going by memory, I think there was about a 1/2" of clearance on the rear so you might be able to get away with 5" of backspace (stock suspension). 

The bottom line is you won't be covering your tires without flares, you'll have about 1-2" poking out of the wheel wells so rolling won't do you any good. The only way to go without fender modification will be keep your ride height high enough to allow them to poke without bottoming out like below. It might take some air dam trimming to allow the wheels to turn lock to lock also. 

kyr-dave.jpg

I run 15x10 on all four corners with Hoosier 275/35/15 tires.  I am using Spinwerkes series 82 wheels with 5.25" backspace.  I use .25" spacers on the fron to clear my coil-overs.  I also have the SubtleZ fenders on the car for added clearance.

post-30-0-83023400-1402080686_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-46069700-1402080722_thumb.jpg

post-30-0-53275500-1402080755_thumb.jpg

Edited by 74_5.0L_Z

Thanks 5.0... So my tire will be 21mm thinner than yours but no shorter.  I would have 3/4 inch less backspace which is 19mm.  Looks like I will be almost exactly where you are on the inside.  So as I read it I will not quite make it on the outside with out a flare.  I have the eastwood roller but I dunno how much "roll" I can get into the Z.  For our series rolling is legal, flaring is not.

• 2 weeks later...

K....here's what I got.  Fronts 15x10 with 5 inch backspace fit the front with no mods

the rears will hit on the outside when the suspension is compressed, I went for the big fender roll just to see if I could roll it enough and the passenger side quarter panel had bondo in the lip...cracked like crazy.  So I am going to flare it and let the rules Nazis have at me.  Ordered the flares last week