HybridZ

if you were buying new rims/tires again (stock susp) what would you get?

As it says. if you had it to "do over", what would you get?   Went too big, went too small????????

Im currently rolling on the 14" steels (with hubcap) on a 1977 280Z.  in the market to go to a 16" xxr 531 with possibly a 225/50/16....   on stock suspension.  0 offset is better than going +20, right?     I've searched and searched google, forums, here, there, everywhere.... Seems to be conflicting reports of will work vs. wont work.  having to roll fenders vs. fits fine.    I'm not deadset on the XXRs, that's the reason for a more current post than 2008 :).   I'm a noob, looking for enlightenment, beyond my search skills.   And hopefully this thread will help others, who search after me.   Thanks for any info. 

Ive got XXR 530 16" +0 with the same tire, and a 1" drop with lowering springs. The fronts were sooo close to the spring perch I threw a 3mm spacer in, they also hit the stock front "skirt/lip" side pieces when turning hard. The rears fit fine. With my springs, the tires rubbed on hard corners till i rolled the fenders. My 2 cents, good luck choosing.

A 16x7 -0 offset will fit fine. You may have to run a narrower tire than a 225-50-16 such as a 215-50-16 however there are only two performance tires made in that size. So, you may consider a 205-50-16. Another option is 205-45-16.

16x8 is all the xxr comes in. 16x7 seems to be rota/wantanabe (sp), which is beginning to look like a "stock" rim, so many people are running them. No offense to the guys running them. I was looking at varrstoen v4s. But everyone is sold out. They were a +15 offset though.

When I first upsized my wheels & tires I had a stock suspension on my '77 280Z so I bought some 16x7 Centerline wheels with 0 offset and put some 225/50-16 tires on them. They fit and that is what I'm still running 17 years later even though I now have coil-overs. In retrospect a +5 offset might have been slightly better but the 0 worked on my car with a totally stock suspension and body.

You might, however, look at going to 17" wheels and running a 225/40-17 tire. That will be almost exactly the same diameter as a 195/70-14 tire and you will find more availability in 17" tires and wheels than in 16's. You will sacrifice some in ride but not too much compared to the 16's.

Edited by Phantom

Running 17x8.5 wheels +4

You have to beat the front coil perch flat on wheel side, but it will fit .

Rear could have handled +10

Wish I had +10 all the way then I could have run spacer up front.

Back tires rub now with 245/45.

235's would have cleared inner fender

I'm going 225/45/17 next, should clear and look big on 8.5" rims