HybridZ

which GM alternator

jzd14

i have a '73z with an L28 from a 280z.

i've heard that putting a GM alternator on would not be too difficult

my questions are these:

-what year and model GM alternator should i get (want at least 100amps)

-what needs to be modified (brackets?, how?)

-what aspects of the wiring will i need to change and how do i change them?

-what is a fair price for a reman alternator and any suggestions on a good source for them?

thx in advance for the help smile.gif

Guest Big Purds

I have a 130A GM alternator in the old small case, looks similar to the OEM alts, two lobes on the bottom and one on the top...

I had to grind about 3/4 of an inch off of the front of the mount that bolts to the block, and extend the adjusting bracket about an inch and a half...

make sure of all of your measurements before you grind tho, just in case...I made sure the belt was running straight and true several times before I finished the brackets...

It's simple.

1) Get a 95 maxima SE alt(125amp) or some other ones (300zx will work too) if want. Just choose one by ampage. (just get a core to match whichever alt. from junk yard to cut some core charge down) ;)

2) Take the pulley and the trust brearing off the z alt

3) Take the pulley and the trust bearing off the new alt. (It might not even have a trust bearing, it can be part of the pulley)

4) Got to local alt. shop to get a shorter trust bearing to match the pully to the original location. Or grind the z trust bearing to get the correct height (make sure the trust bearing stays flat)

5) Get a 300zx alt harness from a junk yard too. ( I guess you should do that while you getting the core)

6) cut the T harness from z and put the 300zx harness, solder.

7) Just replace the alt. (it's a direct bolt on)

8) After hoking up the 300zx harness, positive and ground, turn the key to ON position and see if the charge light comes on. If not, swap the two wires from T harness around and see if the charge light comes on. IF not still, I guess you need to as for help. lol

thx guys...

going the newer nissan route does seem tempting, but i was thinking of going with the GM alternator for the high amperage and the fact that i could probably find one cheaper

does anyone have anymore information on the GM alt. swap...your insight would be much appreciated :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Big Purds

I am selling my entire setup for the Delco alt, because I need more amperage (buying a 240A alternator to support my stereo) complete with all the mounting hardware...

I hafta switch cases so my existing mounts are no longer good to me...

if anyone is interested, drop me a line at

big_purds@yahoo.ca