HybridZ

Turboing my Z

Well the turbo timer was free and the bleed valve came with the turbo. So far I have only spent about $300 everything else was free or traded. 

I understand that the way I am going at this is completely different then everyone else but there is a method to my madness.  

I guess what i'm trying to do is set up everything to "stock" form and go from there. I'm not trying to shoot for high hp out of the gate. I want to slowly build up my car but still get to work every morning. 

As soon as I get the car running on the turbo ill start sourcing a distributor. The only problem is that I have to pull the whole timing cover off to replace the shaft to match the dizzy and I just dont want to deal with it right now. 

It might help if you share the method to your madness, might make more sense as to why you are trying to make your life much more difficult.

Regardless of how you got the parts, in "stock" form you don't need an intercooler, blow off valve, turbo timer, you can easily sell those and acquire parts that you actually need. So if your method to your madness is the lack of funds, that won't really fly.

...On an L-series, you don't need to pull the timing cover to remove the the oil pump and thus the shaft, it all slips out of the side/bottom. The distributor just pulls off the top with 2 or 3 bolts. It's about as hard as an oil change, difficult part being the checking of the timing, which can be easily done with a helper. If that is too tedious, you may want to hold off on the whole turbo thing for a bit.

Not trying to bust your balls and not saying you can't do things the way you want to, but people who tend to take shortcuts tend to know the shortcuts, their drawbacks, and either can afford or don't care about the risk, or take alternative measures to avoid the risk.

Alright so I have come to my senses and realized that when it comes to power/reliability you cant cut corners. So I'm going to pick up a distributor and shaft but im out of money now so the project is on hold. 

The only parts I need now are 

dizzy and shaft

IC piping and blow off.

But I have a question and that is when I switch to the zx distributor do I need to get the ignitor or not? I have read that you need to pick it up when you get the dizzy but when I look up wiring diagrams for megasquirt it does not show the ignitor. Is that because megasquirt has direct coil drive?