HybridZ

LS with engine driven cooling fan

Has anyone ever done this or does everyone use electric? I am in the process of installing an LS3 in my '71 240. Previously, I had a ZZ4 crate motor using the JTR setup with a clutch cooling fan and it worked flawlessly in the AZ summers. My 2002 Tahoe has an engine driven clutch fan and I've thought about using one if it was doable. Before starting from scratch, I was checking to see if anyone has done it and what parts you used.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

I'm running the electric fans that came out of the donor Camaro for my LS1. They fit my radiator beautifully and plug into the ECM harness and work flawlessly. The set-up can keep the engine from overheating in 100+ weather with the AC on full in stop and go DFW traffic with only one fan running.

Run the Ford Taurus or Lincoln Mark VIII fans if you go this route.  In addition, do a bit of blocking to direct all the air through the radiator.  I did so (and am running a Taurus fan) and I never see over 180 degrees on the highway even when it is 90+ degrees outside.

I'm using a sable/taurus fan and even in dead stopped traffic with 95* outside temps I've never seen over 205*. This is also with a 3 row 280z aluminum radiator and no fan shroud around the taurus fan. Fan (low speed) kicks on at 200* I believe. While driving it stays at 190* or below (186* new factory 5.3 thermostat).

I did however use pipe wrenches to remove the fan off of my 5.3 before installing the V8 in my z. Never thought about using it in the z but there's enough room for it.

Edited by EastTnZ