HybridZ

16" electric fan with stock shroud

Has anyone tried using the stock 280Z fan shroud over a 16" electric fan? I'm leaning towards a single Spal 16" fan, the dimensions allow it to fit on the core. The shroud opening is 18"+, but the stock fan is slightly offset and sits above the core. I'm just looking for a little feedback before I go this option.

I know the Taurus fan is a popular option, as is the dual 12" fans, but I'm just looking for opinions on the 16" fan. 

Thanks guys!

Don't know if this will help you (not sure if you're using the stock radiator, or just the stock shroud), but I'm using a 16" Spal low-profile fan with a Chevy radiator from JTR and a custom shroud I fabbed.  I've got one of Spal's programmable controllers running the system.  Works great and keeps the motor (SBC) cool in all conditions.  If you're running an L28, a single 16" fan should be plenty provided it's properly shrouded and the cooling system is operating properly.

I've got a stock radiator and L28, and it runs very cool according to the gauge. I've got a new thermostat and new water pump, and it never reaches half way unless I drive the car hard with the A/C on. I'm not going with an electric fan because of overheating issues, I just want to get rid of the clutch fan setup, and maybe free a little hp in the process. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hayden brand , can't remember what size . Got it from OR , lifetime warranty . It has two speeds but the high speed has never came on , plenty of flow at low speed . It  keeps my LS1 Z running cool in Texas heat . I would say it's an 17" , haven't found my receipt .

Edited by Domzs

You will need to do a little trimming to the mounting tabs to make it fit . After trimming , I used 4 plastic/sheet metal screws to secure the fan . 

Must use relays . I have GM alternator , so it doesn't affect much . Like I said , never saw high speed . Then again , I'm using 3 cores Champion radiator . It depends on how you wire it up , after 25 mph , the fan is useless ( does not need to be running ) .

Edited by Domzs

Another option would be the fans 7 shroud off a 1998-2002 GM F-body (Camaro/Firebird) The shroud fits the stock Z radiator with just a little trimming and you end up with two fans that do a great job. The nice thing is if one quits working the remaining one will keep your engine cool. I have first hand experience there when I had some relays fail. :-)