HybridZ

78 280z - Easier Engine Swap L28ET or SBF 302?

We've got a stock 1978 280z that we put on the track here in So Ca that's just lost it's second engine to heat :unsure: so we're looking to do an engine swap.  I've seen plenty of info on the L28ET and the 302 but no real comparison between the two regarding the ease of the installation.  Has anyone done both?  Have any thoughts on the easier route?  

We've done work to our car including a stock engine swap so we know our way around the car a bit and are generally mechanically competent but have limited fab capabilities and experience.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

...We've done work to our car including a stock engine swap so we know our way around the car a bit and are generally mechanically competent but have limited fab capabilities and experience...

L28ET, hands down. It literally bolts in. Do some more research on what the 302 swap requires. 

The L28et would be the easiest, but the ford 302 does not require a whole lot of fab work. I bought an engine cradle but after receiving it, it would not be hard at all to build one.

The cool thing about the 302, it sits behind the front wheel centerline and it's way cheaper to get some power out of it than a L28et.  Look at my build thread if you want to see how it fits.

You can also google 240z 302 ford and get brian Laines build, he goes into detail about the swap and has the prints to build the cradle.

Edited by whatnow123

The L28et would be the easiest, but the ford 302 does not require a whole lot of fab work. I bought an engine cradle but after receiving it, it would not be hard at all to build one.

The cool thing about the 302, it sits behind the front wheel centerline and it's way cheaper to get some power out of it than a L28et.  Look at my build thread if you want to see how it fits.

You can also google 240z 302 ford and get brian Laines build, he goes into detail about the swap and has the prints to build the cradle.

Thanks for the info, we'll check it out.  The "more power easier" argument has been made several times along with the 302 being easier to find so it may still win out.

NewZed - Thanks for the ever so helpful advice.  Strangely enough, not only have we thought have that, we've tried it.  Despite my short original post, there has been more thought and work put in to the project than what I mentioned, I just didn't think that I needed to justify and explain it all here.  I was warned that if I posted here, that is part of what I would be greeted with but there were more than enough helpful people to make it worthwhile.  Thanks for helping to prove them right on my very first post.

It may be just me, but I would recommend you solve your cooling issue first.

Putting in a bigger engine, or a turbocharged mill of similar configuration into a chassis where you "lose engines to heat" does not seem like the logical next step.

You should not be losing any N/A L28 "to heat" in SoCal. Never. That's a cooling issue, not an engine issue!

Oh, now reading the responses...all I can say is "you don't understand the cooling system, you are making a bigger mistake."

It's not difficult to get a 300HP L28 that will run in desert heat all day long under track conditions in the summer (willow springs big track, or Streets Course)

If you can't figure that out, don't lecture anybody pointing out the flaws in your stayed logic.

Just on the basis of that response, I'd vote to shed this post and say "try again"... I don't agree with NewZed on much, but he's spot on in his statement, and your response was bot childish and uncalled for in return.

If you want more power, just say so. Don't use the excuse of "we lost the engines to heat"--that is your failing, nobody else's! Keeping a high output L28 Cool in SoCal is not rocket science. You're asking for more issues without solving your (stated) root cause problem first.

Edited by Tony D