HybridZ

Fuel/Water Separator.. ...OEM?

I have an early 260z (12/73) and had a (2/74) parts car that this came off of

post-44346-0-07264600-1408984383_thumb.jpgpost-44346-0-06229200-1408984409_thumb.jpg

and mine didn't have this. Was this OEM or did someone feel the need to add this on.I'm putting in a new gas tank and was wondering if I should include this when I'm routing my new fuel hoses.

Thanks Daniel

Wix is a manufacturer of oil filters with a very good reputation..

Interestingly, the original fuel filters that came from Nissan also acted as a fuel/water separator. When I bought my first new car, a 2 door 510, the dealer taught me to examine the bottom of the fuel filter (they had clear plastic bodies then). Water would not pass through the filter material and would accumulate there.

If I found water, I was told to remove the filter and turn it upside down, blow through the outlet tube to expel the water. Since I was in the Air Force at the time and was familiar with water condensation in aircraft fuel tanks, this became a routine check every time I opened the hood.  

They are, it's a dealer-added accessory to prevent the Bendix Internal Filter from getting clogged and needing replacement. 

The big WIX would go forever filtering before ever showing any pressure drop, and the Bendix Pump would never clog, requiring that expensive filter.

If the WIX did need replacement, you got it anywhere for like $3 and you were good for another....uh.... how many miles are on the car now without it clogging to cause a problem? 200,000+?