HybridZ

Potential Buy, needs your opinion.

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi folks;

I'm going to be seeing a 74 240Z very soon,The car was modified back in the 80's.I need to know what you think of the work that was done,as well as how durable this build might be and how it might perform,.There may be 20k miles since build. Here's what I know.

ENGINE.

Balanced/Blueprinted 2.8 bored to 3.0

Hepolite pistons/deeves rings

Vanderville rods/bearings

High pressure turbo oil pump

BRE dual remote oil filters

Electric Preluber oil system

HEAD.

E31 ported, polished, radiused, flow tested

oversized intake/exh valves (polished & radiused)

Caldwell comp valve springs/titanium spring retainers

Norris SRA 341 road race cam(5.01 lift/300 deg. duration

Vernier adjustable cam sproket

Re-curved distributer

MSD ignition

Mallory super coil

INTAKE.

Triple DCOE 40 Webers

Holly 7psi/120gph comp pump

Pro fuel regulator

EXHAUST.

BRE comp headers 6 into 2 ?

Duals out, straight back w/resonaters

DRIVE.

Tilton 11lb aluminum flywheel

Performance clutch/plate

Datsun Competition Trans, 5spd, rally close ratio

5th is 1:1 ratio, HOWS THAT ?

Drive/Axel shafts Balanced

Spicer servicable U-joints

Rear end (unknown)

225/50/15 onCompomotive 3pcs cx500's

SUSPENSION.

Bilstein 4x

Interpart 2" drop coils

BRE fr/rear Swaybars

All hi/po bushings+ eccentric camber bushings fr/rr.

Thats all I know, car is said to be mint !

Once again possible HP ?,Durability,Driveability,

Thanks

Ron. b_hand.gif

Ron, looks like your looking at a nice car. However, be aware some of the "BRE" parts that you are referring to are not BRE parts. For instance Brock Racing Enterprizes did not use a dual oil filter, (Bob sharp did though). 1 to 1 ratio trannies are common and are easy to determine with the patern of the gears up left is reverse, down to first, up center for second, and on from there. "rally" transmissions are very rare and NOT good gears for the street, you might have a med close or ultra close ratio trans. BRE cars did use a 6 into 2 Stahl header...oh and you might want to verify the year of the car too. To my knowledge there were no 240Z's manufactured in 74.

Just kind of an FYI, I hope this helps

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Ron C

My Mistake! bonk.gif it's a 73................ you see the 4 is right beside the 3 weird.gif

The 240 (73) was restored in 81 so i'm told

and all the upgrades were of that time.

The car has been in storage fo 15+ years now.

Thanks

Ron

cheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gifcheers.gif

It has tons of high dollar parts. If it is in good condition and a good price, seems like a no-brainer. If they don't guarantee it and are asking $15,000 then maybe not such a good deal? Too much depends on the condition of the car and the price is probably why you haven't had lots of responses.

Sounds like a race car :) I will try to comment in driveability, I do not own tripple webers, but so far as I know most or all of them do NOT have a choke system. I haven't heard of good MPG yet either, but then again people are probably running them a bit rich, for racing.

The lack of a choke system though, would not make for the best cold morning startups. I had problems with jetting on my dual Weber downdrafts that do have a choke, and my startups used to be around 5 minutes.

Weber side draft have chokes but they aren't butterfly valve type. They provide enrichment and fast idle and, since Webers have accelerator pumps, they generally have better cold-start characteristics than the stock SU carbs.

The car sounds good (depending on the price) but I'm wondering about the diff. With that many mods, one would expect a good, strong, LSD diff. To not have info on it may suggest that it was sold or blown up and replaced with a stock diff. With a 1:1 5spd you should have the ratio info too. Given the vintage of the mods, an R190 LSD would not be surprising.

You didn't mention a roll cage so I assume it's not road race ready but it sounds like a fun Solo I or II car. DAW

Guest Anonymous

Daw;

For some reason I have always refered to webers as " twin choke" I"m

not sure why? It"s got triple DCOE 40's. Loaded with 15 year vintage

petrol.

As for as the diff goes I was fortunate enough to speak to the origional owner/builder .Who built the 240 in 81. Could not recall what diff

was installed but was sure it was a limited slip unit, money was not a concern when the car war built .

As for a roll bar,no it hasn't got one,he didnt see the need for one as it was only used for The street.

I'll be looking at that next winter.Bolt in or custom need advise i dont want to make a mess of the interior.

Thanks

Ron E

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like a beautiful car! A true classic build up, one you could really brag up on zcar.com or here. It sounds like the build up was very deliberate, not just bolting on the deal of the month, so I would try to find out what type of racing the guy built it for and figure it was probably pretty successful at that.

I would make up my mind what I wanted the car for before I looked at it. As someone said, it sounds like a race car. I think streetablility will be a valid concern. You really need to drive it and realize if it seems a little harsh on a short test drive, it might become unbearable on a 3 day road trip. If the engine is running bad because of bad gas, then god only knows what other problems could exist.

Probably not a daily driver but might be OK for a weekend warrior. Sounds like an excellent Solo I racer. I would like it for that. The rear end ratio could have a lot to do with how streetable it is (not to mention gas mileage).

BTW. Not to be labeled a purist, but if you are thinking V8 transplant I would look for a more torn up car. If for no other reason than you won't be throwing away as many high dollar parts.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks Jim,

The 240 was not built for racing ,and was not raced I confirmed this with the origonal builder as well as it's present owner, the car was actually built from a rust free low miles car totally taken down and built up again once all the performance parts were aquired.The body received front and rear spoilers with custom one off all metal fender flares ,the look is AWSOME ,(I'll post pictures as soon as I secure the car), It was built as a street machine with only 12000 mles since it's /81 creation,It's been in storage for the last 15+ years. see my other posts.

Hopefully the car is what I'm expecting.

Ron E[/b]