HybridZ

sourcing L28ET's....

Guest chuck91na

Guest chuck91na

so, for all of you guys runing turbo motors in earlier z's, where did you find them? junk yards? regular donor cars? is there a soure on the net that deals with them? i'm about to finish up my 79 rx-7 turbo project and an earlier Z will come next, so i'm looking at powerplants. i'm also looking at 7mgte's, 1jz's, RB's etc, and can find clips cause they are still importing them...but i'm having a hard time finding turbo l28's. added to that is rebuilding the thing....i dont want to put a junkyard motor into a Z and just run it.

then comes the issue of HP....the money it takes to get a l28et to the level of these newer crossflow motors... i'd like to ge to 400hp @ the fly wheel, eventually.

anyway, i'm thinking out loud and will now stop.

thanks for any help,

chuck

so, for all of you guys runing turbo motors in earlier z's, where did you find them? junk yards? regular donor cars?
Yes.

but i'm having a hard time finding turbo l28's
Keep looking - there are lots of them out there. I have 2 spares in my garage, and get word about 1 a month in the Pick-n-Pull yards.

i dont want to put a junkyard motor into a Z and just run it.

Why? I've personally done that with two motors now, with ZERO issues. Motors run well and strong, haven't had one go south on me yet. Shane's been doing the same, just drop a stock motor in and run 12s and 11s. He's only broken one in 5 years.

The L28ET is a remarkably strong reliable engine. You shouldn't have any issues with wear, and if you keep your eyes open for obvious problems, you can run engines with 200k miles. My original engine had 175k miles, compression high and even, with only some valve seals giving me a puff on a quick rev.

400hp is not hard. It is so simple to bolt in. Just put your money into an intercooler, fuel system and engine management, and use the stock motor.

Guest Anonymous

what are some of the more obvious/common problems with the L28ETs? for example, the VTC in the VE30DEs of the Maximas, #6 cylinder on the RB-series engines, crankwalk on the 7 bolt 4G63s, etc?

Guest chuck91na

maybe i'm paranoid.....maybe its my rotary....

i just dont think i could swap a junkyard motor without a rebuild. it would haunt me....and at high boost...

anyway, i guess i'll grow a set and start calling yards...

thanks,

chuck

Originally posted by chuck91na:

maybe i'm paranoid.....maybe its my rotary....

i just dont think i could swap a junkyard motor without a rebuild. it would haunt me....and at high boost...

anyway, i guess i'll grow a set and start calling yards...

thanks,

chuck

tongue.gif Maybe it's your rotary ;)

I know of somone getting 350HP at the wheels with a junkyard motor. New metal head gasket, new timing chain, guides, and tensioner is all he did to it. You'd be surprised at how durable these motors are. I just pulled appart an F54 NA motor with well over 100K miles on it, and there was absolutely to ridge to ream. I hot tanked, magnefluxed, honed, and re-ringed it. Like a new motor now.

Pete

Guest Anonymous

hay if your going to rebuild the thing for 400 hp

any 81 to 82 ZX block crank and rods work get new pistons you got the short block

i dont think the stock ECM (or ECU) will work?

so your going afrtemarket

i can think of about 6 places you can just pick up the phone and get the head

i like the 75 intake on the turbo

shotting for 400 hp get a header

You can still use a stock ECU, but working with the injectors and a rising rate regulator seem to be key. I am going to guess the stock fuel pump will not supply that much juice, but people seem to be getting big numbers with relatively "little" work/investment.

junk yards have tons

if you're in socal ill give you one :D i got 3 extra just waiting to be machined into L31ET best thing to do is bite the bullet spend a thousand extra and go with SDS and upgrade your fuel...going through the motor is also a very good idea (magnaflux line bore etc.,)

thanks for the help guys....i've found some engines between $400-800. i've seen 1jz clips for under $2k.....decisions indeed.

chuck

just get an RB swap bro...easier...simpler...still nissan haha yeah who cares about that? but still -- 1jz = a pita

whats wrong with a 1jz? the TT plumbing?

the plumbing isnt a problem -- if you suffer from "while its out i might as well...." disease like the rest of us you'll prob adapt a single turbo to it; also adapting a transmission is a pita also -- with the rb you get the same displacement factory single OR twin turbo depending on how much you shell out and you use factory nissan parts to adapt it (200ZR mounts oilpan sump and pickup)