HybridZ

Interest In A CV Adaptor

Scottie-GNZ

Lets see if I can address BLKMGK's concerns.

As for a required parts list, thats the good part. Here are some basic assumptions. If you are doing the CV swap, you are going to have an R200, a set of CVs and stub axles with companion flanges already on the car. Be certain you get a set of CVs and not just 2. They are different lengths. If you have a late 260 or 280, you are set with the larger stub axles/flanges. If you have a 240, the adaptor side of the companion flange is identical to the 280, but again, the 280s are stronger.

The companion flange is welded to the adaptor and once that is done, you are stuck with the matching stub axle. You cannot later switch to the 280 stubs. Only other thing you need is 6 M8x1.25 bolts. This adaptor solves the compression problem, at least as far as I can tell from racing my car and the tests I did. With the car in the air, I jacked up the passenger control arm to the point where the CVs was as compressed as it could get, and placing a pry bar on the diff end of the CV, I could still get a little more compression. Putting in the drivers side CV is no problem, but the passenger side is still a minor struggle. I have had mine out more times than I care to say and what I do is disconnect the bolts from the front of the control arm and the CV slides right in. Takes all of about a minute.

As for the VLSD, I know 240Z Turbo has them in his car but I do not know exactly what it takes to make the swap.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

[This message has been edited by Scottie-GNZ (edited January 31, 2001).]

Okay, so I'd need a set of later stub axles, the CVs, the adapter, and some welding done which would be facilitated by a groove on the adapter. Oh, and some bolts to hold the bits together? I think I can handle that smile.gif I'd be interested when the prices are put together - what the hell it's only money!

I think (read, think...) the reason for all these adapters is because the CV has a conical shaped protrusion on the stub axel end. The main idea is to move the CV axel inwards so this cone shaped thingy can have some place to fit into. I have been thinking of milling this protrusion off and doing Pricher's idea of just bolting an adapter plate up. Of course, I'd like to find a dummy CV axel before I go hacking up my nice ones.

-Andy

That was the initial intent in the design, but after working with the machinist, it was impossible to get the 6 holes on one side and 4 on the other side without overlap or being too close to each other. There was also the issue of making the hole in the middle large enough to get the big axle nut on/off and fit the CV on the end of the CV.

Refer back to the pic that shows the CV side and you will see what I mean. Try positioning the 4 flange bolts between the 6 CV bolts.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ