HybridZ

We Now Have A Price On The CV Adaptor

Scottie-GNZ

The price on the CV adaptor will be $110 + shipping assuming we can get a minimum of 10 pairs ordered.

To recap, that price includes a pair of CNC-machined adaptors with a pocket for the CV, a pocket for the companion flange, center hole for the stub axle nut and tapped for 6 M8x1.25 bolts for the CVs. You supply your own bolts and are responsible for having the companion flange welded.

Lets get a count of how many are interested to see if we can move forward with this. I ned to make one thing clear. I am not "selling" these adaptors. I am just a go-between to help you guys because I believe in the product and also do not want the machinist inundated with individual calls. I will work this GP but after that will not do individual orders. If there is interest beyond the GP, the price will be higher and probably be done through some retail outlet.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scottie... repeating my dumb question from before, do I use the stock Nissan CV bolts for the m8x1.25, or do I need to find something else? I'm mainly concerned about finding a bolt with adequate shear strength if I can't use the oem bolts.

TimZ,

I did not use the stock bolts and do not remember much about them except that I recall them having a 12mm head for extra install/removal clearance. I just went to a specialty shop and bought the strongest hex head bolts they had. I inspect mine after every track session and since I started using these adaptors, I have pulled my entire rear suspension out a couple of times and can see no problem. Did not have anything magnafluxed, but after al ot of banzai launches, I have stopped worrying about any of those components breaking.

Lets hope we can get enough folks to make this happen. [On Soapbox] Unfortunately too many Z owners get used to finding bargain upgrades and sometimes lose sight of the value of some of the upgrades available to them. [Off Soapbox]

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

quote:

Originally posted by Morgan:

Call me stupid scottie, but what good are the 280z stub axles if they're only a coupla hundreths of an inch thicker anyhow? Does anyone actually have a chronic breakage problem?

I think that the fact that the 280 stubs have more splines is what makes them more desireable. Presumably, you would be doing this upgrade to accomodate higher torque, so the thinking is to start with the strongest pieces.

Whether the 240 stub was a weak point to start with, I'm not sure.

Morgan,

Jim Biondo "tried" to use CV's with 240Z stub's. I guess he broke them pretty quickly. Of course, he's running around 500hp... rolleyes.gif 500hp tends to break things in Z cars. Since then, he's switched to the larger 280Z stubs and hasn't had any problems. I think most people want to do it for a piece of mind. Better to have too much and and not need it, then not enough and... well you get the picture.

Tim,

Any date on rolling out the Z. I'd like to check it out some if you don't mind. I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I'm working at Lear Corp. at Ford Rd. and Southfield. Let me know.

-Andy

quote:

Originally posted by Andrew Bayley:

Tim,

Any date on rolling out the Z. I'd like to check it out some if you don't mind. I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I'm working at Lear Corp. at Ford Rd. and Southfield. Let me know.

-Andy

I'm hoping to have it ready to go by the time the snow melts, and the salt is washed away - probably July rolleyes.gif. You are more than welcome to stop by anytime - it's mostly assembled in the garage. I only live about 3 minutes from Lear.

Unfortunately I'm a frikin' expert on early Z stub axles! I've broken 3 in the last year. The most common failure mode is the separation of the wheel stud flange from the axle due to fatigue failure of the fusion weld joining the two. Caused by side loads (cornering, hitting curbs, etc.) Second most common is a stress fracture starting from the spline area. Caused by overload (horsepower, bad downshifting, excessive weight, etc.)

Differences between the 240Z and 280Z stub axles:

1. 25 spline vs. 27 spline.

2. Thicker shaft.

3. Slightly different (harder) heat treating on the bearing surfaces (new stub axles only).

4. More consistent flange to axle fusion welds.

5. Better radius on the flange to axle fusion welds.

New 280Z stub axles are still available. Companion flanges are NLA. Don Potter occasionally blueprints a matched set of stub axles and companion flanges (shot peened, micro-polished, cryo treated, Nissan Comp studs, AN/MS nuts/bolts) that are supposedly bullet proof. They cost $1,000 per set too!

------------------

John Coffey

johnc@betamotorsports.com

Originally posted by Scottie-GNZ:

The price on the CV adaptor will be $110 + shipping assuming we can get a minimum of 10 pairs ordered.

having the companion flange welded.

[/b}endquote

Scottie, what exactly has to be welded, and with what precision? I already have CV's on my 280ZX that I transplanted from a ZXT. But if you need others to hit 10 units I can help on that end. I thought your adaptor bolts to your companion flange/hubside and then your CV shafts bolts to it's inboard side and you're done. I know you've posted pics etc before but I haven't been following regularly so either a URL reference so similar might suffice. I can think of at least 2 that would follow thru if I suggested it. And do you know the weight of your 'adaptor'?

thanks

Mike,

unless there are others not responding to this thread, I count 6 sets for sure: MikeK, Craig, Brian Spillar, 76 280Z Speeder, Glenn, Randy 77ZT. TimZ and Ross sound like maybes.

Here is how I would like it to work. Once we have a confirmed 10, I will notify the machinist to start. Everyone sends a check to me and I forward 1 check to the machinist. He ships the adaptors to me and I pack and ship to you. Yes, that means a couple of $$ go towards shipping the adaptors to me (from Atlanta). The machinist is a friend and I do not want to burden him with dealing with individual checks and packing and shipping 10 small packages. I will take on that task biggrin.gif. Not being a retailer, I know he also appreciates not having to deal with that.

I would like to know we definitely have a confirmed 10 as I would prefer not to be stuck with having to pay for some of these.

I do not have a small scale that can accurately weigh them but my scale says about 7lbs for the pair. I did a UPS Quick Cost calculator for an 8lb package in a 6" cube to CA and the shipping charge was $10.38. It would make life simple (for me) if everyone just adds $10 for shipping. Yeah, some of you guys will subsidize the west cosaters but I also have to buy 10 boxes.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Guest Anonymous

hey scottie, $10.00 shipping. ok, i really don't mind since you are doing all the set-up and yeh buying boxes and sending them out is an inconvenience. i am a deffenite. no one should complian about the $10.00 since other companies will charge you that much to send stuff across town. later, chris

Guest Rick Johnson

I may also be interested.

In addition to these adapter flanges I think I need to get (2)27 spline stub axles and (2) square companion flanges with 27 splines. I believe these come from any non turbo early 80's Z.

Are there any issues with seals or dust shields when installing into a 73 240??