HybridZ

Hotrocker anyone?

pparaska

http://www.hotrocker.com/index.html

croparm.gif

Being the usual skeptic, I'm concerned about reliabilty, kinks in the torque curve from this thing. I remember reading the article by Jim McFarland (who I respect) and it's always been intriguing to me.

I'll tell ya - $900 for a super broad torque curve like this: dyno75new.jpg

...is very inticing. But it could end up being a waste of money too.

$900, an afternoon to install, some slits cut in some stamped steel valve covers to install, I'm tempted.

Opinions?

[ August 31, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Guest Anonymous

I e-mailed them asking if there is a warranty on the product.. It seems like a GREAT idea, but what worries me are the little ridges that the shaft turns in. They don't look very deep, and what it the shaft snaps a little bit of that off? icon_eek.gif

I'd also be more comfortable if they used some kind of roller at the point where the adjusting arm meets the rocker, for less friction/wear.

Guest Anonymous

Looks like a real slick idea. I love that kinda stuff, that is thinking outside the box at its best I think. Anyway, thats pretty cool, I didn't like the looks of the exposed stepper motor/rocker lift adjuster (?)

03lg.jpg

above the valve cover, but a bit of some aluminum pounded into shape would make some clean covers for them... shug. I like the concept, they do look a bit thin at the bottom, but the valvetrain looks like its alignment would be quite good due to its mounting and how rigid it is.

Regards,

Lone

Yes Davy.... This is one sore point for me. About 3 years ago I thought I had this great invention, yes rotary valves. I was overwhelmed by all the pluses as I thought the system through! Almost ZERO time for valve to go from fully closed to fully open, no reciprocating mass, lighter heads, the whole 9 yards. Well about a year later I found out some guy invented this in the 60's and can't get anyone interested in it.

Check this link:

http://www.hybridz.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=13&t=000021

Yes, this makes complete sense to me and I'm really surprised that the auto manufacturers--especially race teams--have not picked this up and run with it. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

http://www.coatesengine.com/

I read the article in Popular Hotrodding, and I really believed that this would go far. I mean, who wouldn't want their V8 to be able to rev to 10,000 to 15,000 rpm because their top end had virtually no friction whatsoever. Can you imagine a valve fully open in only 2 degrees of rotation?!???

Richard, you are the man! If you ever see stuff like this again, please post it. This kind of thing has EXTREME potential IMO, just the cost is a bit high for me right now. icon_smile.gif

Davy

Guest Anonymous

heres anpother one for you guys, volvo has designed and is going to introduce on the market (not sure when or if they have already) a type of hydrolic soleoind valves controlled by the computer although it is for their diesels but i'm sure the application of it could be used on gasoline motors. think of the possibilitites no matter what rpm range your in you can have the optimum setting. it would be like have hunderds of different cams all set each to a different rpm range. kinda like toyota's VVTL-I but on some serious steroids. and then you can take it further bythe fact that you can program the ECU to make either maximum torque or maximum HP or even maybe have it set for the most torque at low RPMs and then when you hit 2500+ RPMs, presto it magically racalibrates to provide the best HP for the top end lovers out their icon_biggrin.gif the possibilities are staggering