HybridZ

SR20Z/F20C1Z

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

heh, after all that planning for the rb26 z, and the parents going along with it, they had to ask for the horsepower...hehehe...

anyways, its probably better my brother doesnt get a 280hp car to start off with anyways...but the good part is i actually got approval, and the parents are budgeting us with about enough for a new car comparable to mine...damn...20000 bucks to blow on a z...the car isnt even mine and im going nuts hehe...

but now my engine options are pretty much between the SR20DET and the F20C1 (S2000 engine)...just curious if its been done and how easy (or probably hard) it will be...a search on the internet brought up a couple of P510 SR20DET swaps, and the stock mounts were used...do you think the mounts would work with the 240? it is the same "L" engine family stock, right?

brian

[ August 06, 2001: Message edited by: bfeito ]

Guest Anonymous

wow, with 20 grand the possibilities are almost limitless. i would probably just build a twin turbo V8 if i were you, or a really sweet L6 turbo. the skyline engine would be cool but you better know somebody in japan that can supply you with parts if anything goes wrong! If you decide to go with he honda engine swap... good luck finding one of those motors! they are extremely rare!!!! i think the SR20 would be a better alternative to the honda motor.

Guest Anonymous

yeah, but the problem with the TT V8 or skyline swap is the horsepower...i dont have set limits, but im thinking my parents won't go for much more than 200 hp in a turbo engine or 250 in an N/A...i want to do something unique as well, so the L6 isn't really an option...

brian

if youre gonna go with those fancy motors, why not go for a turbo ka24? its what came in 240sx in us, its got more displacement than a sr20, and with a turbo built i believe it would rip an sr20 a new one all dang day, rotary, in my mind unique must mean expensive, and since skys the limit, why not go 2jz-gte or vg30dett???? you go baller...

Ditto that on the S2000 engine, I work at Honda and we have to get on some huge waiting list just to buy one!

I would go with the SR20, you're wanting the turbo spec SR20DET engine right? 200HP out of one of those should be really easy. Too easy?

Keep us posted.

Owen

An S2000 motor? Oooh, piss of the purists AND the Honda guys icon_biggrin.gif Those puppies redline at what, 10,000RPM? What's an S2K weight in at? If it's less than the Z forget it as the torque is low and it might be a pig aorund town. Honestly, the S2K motor sounds pretty neat to me but I know little about them. I did see a road test on one and was turned off by the silly digital dash. Bleah!

Guest Anonymous

S2000s weigh more than the Z...I think like 2800 or 2900...the torque wouldn't be a problem at all (around 150 ft-lbs, which is more than the L24)...if we went with the SR20, we'd definitely get the S13 or S14 silvia engine, which is either 205 or 220 hp, respectively...but that's at 7 psi of boost, and the turbo on those can handle 14, so with a boost controller i'd be set, especially considering I'm going to get an aftermarket intercooler anyway due to the need for custom piping (why not do the whole thing, y'know)...i'm really curious about using those P510 mounts though...anyone know about that?

Guest Anonymous

http://www.arcomnet.net.au/~maddat/siteindex.html

The above link shows a kit for installing an SR20 into a 510. This guy modifies the stock bracket between the rubber motor mount and block. The modification to the crossmember involves cutting the center section out and reversing it to allow for the front sump pan. The pans are ribbed cast aluminum and are designed to reimforce the block, therefore the pans aren't modified for rear sump. I believe the SR20 transmission is going to be close to the same length as a Z trans, so you might find your shifter is going to be forward of the stock Z shifter hole if you used mounts designed for a 510. If you can set the engine back, you may not need to modify the front crossmember.You'd only have to come up with custom brackets to connect your mounts to the block. All of this theory of course until you have measurements in hand. Try calling one of the importers (http://www.soko.com), tell them what you're doing and kindly ask if one of their yard guys can take a tape measure to the block and trans. That will at least get you in the ballpark.

Good luck. Sounds fun.

B

Guest Anonymous

Check this 700 hp SR20DET in this Datsun 510. I flew out to San Diego and talked to these guys at McKinney Motorsports. I rode in one of their cars with a modified SR20DET engine swapped in it. I love these engines. Boy, can they rev and pull hard. You were talking 200 hp. Stock they put out 205 to 250 hp. I'll be in Boston next weekend to talk to a guy who swaps SR20DET's in Datsuns. I'll let you know what I find out and what his swaps look like.

http://velocitycalifornia.tsx.org/

It seems that alot of unwanted advertising pops up when you click on this link. Try the one that I posted below. It works correctly. Sorry.

This one is guaranteed!! http://www.mckinneymotorsports.com/projects.php

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: toddekindred ]

[ August 10, 2001: Message edited by: toddekindred ]

i think putting the s2000 motor in a z is a complete waste of time, you could make any l-series make just as much power with more useable torque cheaper and easier, with little to no fabrication needed. 155lbs @7000, is that what you to achieve....sr20 motor is probably a better option, but still a waste of time in my opinion. sr20's are for 510 and roadster aplications in my opinion.if you only want 200hp, i say sr20 or a turbo l28et, its the kids first car isnt it, something simple is good, then he can put money into paint and style points with his buddies...or is it your first car?????hmmmmmmm

Guest Anonymous

Hmm, I don't think that's the SR20DET motor installed in that Datsun. It looks more like a CA18 or something. Try this

http://fiveoneoh.com/sr/sr.htm

Anyway, I plan on swapping a SR20DET engine in my "71" Z. I also considered the Honda engine. I found a couple on the net and they were quite expensive. To me they just don't put out enough torque. I have tons of info on the SR20DET motors and Datsun swaps. I have talked to several guys who have done this. They're very light and can put out about 300 hp easy without many mods.

I think everyone is missing the point... this isn't supposed to be a high HP car.

I suppose the SR20DET would be a neat swap with light weight and a bunch of power potential... but with $20k and not supposed to have a lot of power... I would seriously consider putting in a stock 280zxt engine. 180hp/200ft-lbs stock. Still a very fast car, but 180hp doesn't sound like a ton so your parents might not mind.

I'd make sure you had the best brakes/suspension/chassis etc that you could get however. Overbuild those components compared to the power the car will have, and it will be a safe car to drive fast. (stops well, turns well) Then put some money into a decent stereo, alarm, interior work. Reupholster the whole interior. Could be a seriously NICE car to cruise around in, handle great, stop great and be no slouch in accelerating either.

Oh yeah, in a few years when he wants more power and car afford it, there are a ton of cheap mods that can be made to net an additional 70rwhp or more.

Maybe not a unique engine, but with that money there are a ton of other things you can be doing to make the car truly unique.

[ August 12, 2001: Message edited by: Drax240z ]

• 2 months later...