HybridZ

Oil pickup tube material

z1 zonly

Hi all,

I need to extend a VH45 oil pickup tube for a rear sump oil pan.  The stock pickup tube is very short and I can't just tack multiple straight sections together.  A Z32 pickup tube has the same dimensions and some nice bends, but the length has a flat spot in it for clearance.  eBay link for reference:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/OTAwWDE2MDA=/z/RnAAAOSwY45UPKZY/$_57.JPG

Anybody got an idea for what I could use?  I have an LS1 one lying around that looks really close per eyeball, but I need it and don't want to cut it up.

At this point, my best idea is to use a length of straight tubing with the same dimensions and a Z32 one for the bends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AG025-ENGINE-OIL-PICKUP-TUBE-2002-CHEVROLET-SILVERADO-2500-6-0-/151253714435?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23376c8603&vxp=mtr

That one's looking really nice!

Just eBaying for pickup tubes from random vehicles, they all look very very similar.  What are the chances they're acceptably similar diameter and wall thickness for about everything?

I did something similar when I did an RB swap The rear sump pans were still available, but not the pickup tubes. So I took the front sump R25 pickup and modified it by cutting and brazing it. I used a smaller tube inside to hold the two tubes together while I brazed it.

PB280003.jpg

PB280002.jpg

PB280001.jpg

Good call, 1969honda.  Done.  Thanks.

Interesting z-ya.  As I mentioned in the first post, the Z32 one is the same dimension as the VH45, so I think it's safe to assume that all early 90s-era Nissans used the same tube material.

• 4 months later...

Brief follow-up on this for the benefit of future searchers.  I ended up using an Infiniti J30 intake balance tube that I had lying around.  Same ID and OD and plenty of varying bends to help you route it.  Got my tube built and am on to the next project!