HybridZ

Dyno pullzzz

DavyZ

I watched the video clip (Got power) of the Supra on the dyno that Essinem4130 posted on the turbo topics--it was short blasts and "poop" it was over.

I have never seen a dyno run before, but I figured it was longer in duration. So, for those who know, what is a dyno run like? How long is it? Seconds, minutes, what???? icon_confused.gif I am ignorant of the subject, so educate me please...

Dave Booth, are you listening? icon_smile.gif

David

[ June 07, 2001: Message edited by: DavyZ ]

Guest kc6wfs

Hi David,

Ya it's short for the most part unless they are doing simulated 1/4 times then it's longer than most.

They only shift 1st to 2nd for checking HP I guess. No need to run it up into 4th or 5th for that.

I'll try to get a dyno run of mine online this weekend on my web page.

Also there was a RX7 13B?? rotory that was infront on my, I think it came in around 10 sec 1/4 mile!! Very fast car.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Guest Anonymous

If you don't mind my asking, about how much do they charge for just a run and consultation on what needs changing? I know my out of the box Holley is not optimized (probably why alot of them get a bad rap because of improper tuning), I may just have to get to a Dyno to get it jetted and sorted out right.

Regards,

Lone

most shops charge by hour because of tie down and gauge hook up time.some time they give a break on 2nd 0r 3rd hour.if you do this you should have an attack plan for your car to maximize you hp gain-like jet changes or timing changes.some will attach pyrometers on header runners for feul mixture readings.i have been in a dyno room testing engines on dyno stand-dont be surprised iif you engine comes up short.many combinations of cams/heads/intake sound like good ideas but dont make at dyno day.i have seen a cheavy 350 that was supposed to make 400 hp top out at 280!you can figure on $400 to $500 for 4 hours.but you get a years worth of tuning done quickly and correctly -no guess work-no rejetting carb and test driving for a week.

I have heard of a "dyno-tune" where they put the car on a dyno and tune the carb etc to get everything to top performance, then you're good to go. This is what you had done wasn't it Dave? I have heard that these type of tuning sessions are bux. If my car were finished and I was not happy with the performance, I'd try it.

David

Guest kc6wfs

Hi David,

Randy hit it right on the head.

I booked a 1hr slot. and got around 6 or 7 tries.

1st thing was tie it down

2nd do a base run to see what it's doing

3rd tweek timing and run again(then let cool off)

4th tweek timing more.

5th reduce jets and run again

6th retweek timing.

7th do a 1/4 mile simulation.

Something like that.

The runs themselvs are short but all that was done in 1 hr or so.

Dave

there are no simulated 1/4 times on the dyno. no one is gonna let you slam the gears on their dyno. Most people make runs in 3rd or 4th gear so they don't spin the tires. 4th gear pulls will usually net the most wheel hp because direct drive gives the least amount of drivetrain loss.

Guest Anonymous

Ouch, pretty expensive... Could by alot of jets and beer for that much... icon_smile.gif Actually since I put the cowl on and the larger air cleaner mines running really well, just would be nice to see if it could be better. Guess I'll have to use the butt dyno for now.

Regards,

Lone

Guest kc6wfs

240Zturbo,

At the dyno place I went to they let us do 1/4 mile runs on the dyno.

There was the rx7 that did in the 10's on his machine.

It's a mustang dyno machine if that makes a differance.

Mine did 13.02@102

Dave

if your doing a HP run on a dyno most places start in second to get wheels moving then shift to forth in very low rpm and punch it.

that is what the supra was doing.... that much HP will eat up forth gear in a couple of seconds. i participated in a 600hp skyline dyno run in the trunk it was quick ;>

As far as costs run, I've seen both the BMW club and the Z-club get special group rates on the Dynojet at a Dallas shop. I think it was around $80 each, and you got two or three runs. Cheap, cheap, CHEAP! And with that many club members participating, usually there was some experienced person there who could tell you how to make a few more ponies show themselves.

I don't think they were doing much more than measuring RWHP, though. Not a lot of fancy sensors to hook up. But for that price, I think that would be good enough to satisfy my curiosity.

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

There is a shop in Las Vegas that has a dyno available for $75 initial setup and one run. If you want to tune while your car is on the dyno - he charges $50.00 per half hour after that.

His dyno is a heavy duty Nascar type that you can do simulated 1/4 mile runs all the way up through the gears. It is computerized so it adds resistance the faster you go to simulate the added load as your vehicle speed increases.

His name is Dale Kiefer and his number (702) 257 3808. The shop is Racers Edge.

DynoJet here is $80 for three runs, no tuning except minor stuff. it's amazing what small changes can do to HP and hwo back to back runs show nearly identical HP figures - it seems pretty accurate. Runs are made in 3rd or 4th gear, nitrous pulls are wild to watch!