HybridZ

Newbie advice

Hi all, I just recently picked up a 70 240z to restore/mod in my free time and I need some advice on how to approach it. I'm pretty mechanically inclined and can weld, but have never done extensive frame welding.

I tried to give the car a good look before I bought it, but it was going to sell fast and I was in a rush. I picked it up for $700 and it doesnt really have any rust, but it looks like the driver's side frame has been rewelded from collision, and rather poorly at that. Not sure what to do, weld it better, leave it, burn it?

Appreciate any advice, thanks!

Here's an album of the car and damage

http://imgur.com/a/Uzfcq

Well, depending how far you want to take the car, I suppose you could either cut the whole front end off and do a tube frame, which would be a bit overkill, or, more likely, you're gonna be needing a front clip. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure I would have bought that car. Rust is one thing, accident damage like that is a can of worms I don't want to open. That's going to be costly to repair unless you can do it yourself, and it doesn't sound like you have that skill set. And I think I'd have the chassis checked to see if it's even straight before starting.

I don't think I have the skill set, but I am definitely willing to learn and have time to spend on the car. When the fenders where on the car, it was surprisingly straight considering the damage, what keyed me to look further was difficulty getting the hood aligned. Which wasn't too bad, like an 1/8 too forward? I suppose at this point I'm trying to justify my purchase, but definitely bought the car to get my feet wet in fabrication/restoration

Edit: here is the car with the panels on

http://imgur.com/iB39RJs

Edited by rssk

• 2 weeks later...

Unless you're going to fabricate a whole tube frame front end, like this, I'd abandon ship on the car. 

The 240 has very little structural integrity to begin with and this one has been compromised.  Even if it's straight-ish, you'd never really be able to trust it.  That patch job around the T/C rod scares the crap out of me.

I wouldn't worry about the hood alignment...