HybridZ

LS1 / T56 Update #47

Well, the clock guy I have was a no-go on the clock repair.  Evidently he really is only good on things with gears and springs.  Anyone have a wind up Z clock? :-)

Guess it's time to call the APT boys and see what they can do.  In the meantime the dash is going together without a clock.  Lights are still progressing but still a ways to completion.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out that during "show car season" APT doesn't take on any "unusual" repairs.  They referred me to The Clock Works, www.clockwks.com.  They will do a quartz conversion on the clock, polish everything up, give it a 2 year warranty, and turn it around in 48 hours normally.  Once again, mine isn't normal so they're saying a week.  Cost is $199.95 plus S&H each way.  Now I need to go get the clock from the other shop and get it mailed off.

Yeah - MSA sells remanufactured clocks for $312 - when they have them. Got the clock back from the first clock repair guy this morning, super packaged it up, and will UPS it out this afternoon.

Also got word from Samuel at ZLEDslights that my front turn signals and side marker lights are done. He's now working on my tail lights and expects to have them done the end of this week.

Dash is going back together and OBDII connector and Check Engine light wiring is getting done. Reviewed the location with it today along with the modification details for the adjustable proportioning valve. That and HID headlights are supposed to be done next week.

Got the call from the Clock Works this morning and a guarantee the clock would be done this week. Received an email from ZLEDslights with the tracking number for my lights.  Supposedly a 3-day delivery rate but, with this being Memorial Day weekend, I don't expect to see the lights until next Tuesday.  That would be consistent with USPS. 

If everything goes as I've been told there is a chance the car will be fully back together by May 29th.

Edited by Phantom

Got notification today from USPS that the Clock Works has contacted them about return shipping of my clock. They asked me if I wanted to pay an extra $20 for expedited 48 hr turn around. I said "no, a week would be fine" so they turned it around in 24 hrs. Go figure.

ZLEDslights also recommended that I get a solid state flasher module that I'd LED compatible. I was thinking about trying it with my original flasher first but timing is getting close so I'll probably get one asap so I know I'll be good to go as soon as the lights arrive.

The shop that has my car closed for 5 days over the Memorial Day weekend. The good news is that they are at work today and tomorrow behind closed doors working on my car and one other.

Starting Tuesday if all goes right! The clock actually arrived in the mail Saturday rather than the predicted Tuesday.  This means I'll be able to deliver it all to the shop when they open Tuesday morning.

Edited by Phantom

Thank you.  It's actually pretty filthy right now but it still looks pretty good after 10 years and nearly 100,000 miles. When I redo the exterior the interior is going to be untouched.  Way too expensive to try to change it.

Stopped by the shop today and everything that was apart is now back together.  Now its time for the adjustable proportioning valve.  They thought they'd be done with it today but they won't make it.  Sometime next week now. They did install the side marker lights backwards but that's an easy fix.  HID headlights and LED lights look sweet.  No pictures for now. Teaser. :-)

Well, at this point they've finally gotten the battery charged and are wiiring in the DRL's. Unfortunately they found another coolant leak where the heater hoses connect to the engine. That should be very easily repaired. Seems to be reluctance to tackling the adjustable proportioning valve but it'll get done. Two more days and it's supposed to come home.

Crap - now the voltmeter is intermittent.  Hope it's not the gauge 'cause getting another good one will be a challenge and then I'll have to get another white-faced gauge kit just for it.

Well - actually - it looks like there are rebuilt ones available and I can just exchange the face plates before I send in mine as a core.  Just another month and a couple hundred bucks.

Edited by Phantom

Coolant leaks are fixed.

OBDII connector and engine warning light wired in.

HID headlights installed and working but passenger side high beam quit.  Told the mechanic to cycle the high/low beam switch about 15 times.  I've had issues there in the past that multiple cycling of the switch cured.

Voltmeter still erratic but alternator working fine so am going to run a while as is to see if it self heals.  It wouldn't be the first time I had an electrical gremlin in this car fix itself.

DRL's are on hold because of the work involved to do them at this point.

Adjustable proportioning valve is on hold at this point unless they can guarantee me to be done by close of business Tuesday.

I have some brake work that will need to be done in the near future so I'll get it then.

LED lights are fabulous.  They are bright and work great except the turn signals that will need a new flasher.  Interestingly the hazard flasher works fine with them.

Clock works and new dash lights combined with the white faced gauges give excellent visibility at night now.

Looking forward to getting the car back and taking it to the Datsuns NW swap meeting Canby, OR next weekend.