HybridZ

torque versus hp

grumpyvette

Guest Anonymous

When I ask this question in relatioship to drag racing I got a very simple bonehead type explanation. Hopefully this is accuaract to some degree:

Torque is what gets you off of the line and moving. Horsepower is what moves you down the track.

anyway....what do ya think? TO simple :confused:

Guest Anonymous

Grumpyvette or should I say Mr. Grumpyvette you are the man. Where you come up with all the information you do is beyond me but please let me thank you I appreciate what you are doing, keep it up.

just trying to help you guys out :D YOU may not know it but you guys are some of the last of the TRUE hotrodders, any idiot with money can buy a Z06 vette or a supercharged COBRA mustang and have a fairly fast car but to take a big V-8 and stick it in a light car and do all the mods necessary to get it correct takes persistance and true hot rodding skill something most guys don,t have so I don,t mind helping out where I can :D keep up the good work and be proud you built it yourself, something most of the mustang ETC. crowd will never have. (the skills and knowledge you pick up by doing it yourself.)

Like the article begins, perhaps if we stop thinking of torque vs hp and instead think about torque and hp.Thanks Grumpy, I love this subject. I wish we had a 1/4 mi calculator on the site with regard to accurate curves, not just peak figures. Its amazing how sometimes the engine with more average torque under the curve and lower hp wins over the higher peak hp motors. Great topic. Note to myself: build the next one of "Unobtainium" :D

JS

Guest RON JONES

Great stuff!I love reading stuff I agree with :D .In My case(I'm looking at My lastest Dyno sheets),all is well acording what I beleave and what the Author says.My Motors peek Torqe is at 5600rpm,and stays with in 4lbs to 6000rpm.So My 5800 Stall converter is perfect,or as close to perfect that I'm happy with.At 5600 My torque 723lbs and HP is 771.Thats fine with Me.Peek HP is 855@7000 rpm.In My case,I run a 2speed PG.I will be shifting the Car at 7200rpm and trying to hit that peek TQ at 5600 with the Motor speed drop when it shifts.and If I go through the Speed traps at the end of the track at 6800 to 7200 range,Im as close to a pefect combo as I can get.Last year all this was close,but I'm making both more TQ and HP this year,so I'll just have to wait and see how the car works with my up grades.The worst thing would be a gear change in the rear.I can live with that :D .in My power band(5500 to 7200)My avarage TQ 685lbs,thats in My opinion a fairly flat curve with peek being 723.Thanks Grumpy,I love reading imformative articles like that.