HybridZ

Checkout the this body, chassis & suspension

Guest Anonymous

What a car I could could build for $128,000! The Z8 is pretty dissapointing in both performance and design. If I had those kind of resorces I could make a car that had 600hp and didn't weigh any more than 1500lbs. Aluminum is a sketchy material...it is light and all...but the specific strength (strength to weight ratio) really isn't that good unless you get into the really pricy alloys (6061-T6, 7075-T6). You could do much better by going with a chromoly steel structure and composite body panels....better yet...carbon fiber spaceframe and body panels!!! With $128000 this would become an easily attainable reality....try again BMW.

SpencZ

MonsterZ Cont.

I have the opportunity to drive my Dad's BMW850 whenever its not on a long road trip. It is a really heavy but respectably, should I say, brisk car. (300hp) What is amazing is how a 4000 pound car can carve up the corners, the totally seamless acceleration, the deathly quiet interior at WAY, way over 100 mph, and the overall refinement of the ride. There is a lot more than 0-60 going through the minds of BMW. My wife drove my father an me back from Santa Fe, with fewer than 600 miles on the odometer, traveling over Raton Pass never dropping below 90 mph! (Permissive Father-in-law!) Lots of sharp inclines and curves here. Mclaren's v12 from BMW shows how to put down some ultra high tech BIG HP. Years ago, '87 Benetton's BMW 4 popper formula 1 car had 1000+ from a 1.5 turbo. The upper end BMWs are way expensive, but they really are wonderful cars to spend lots of fast and long duration road time in. For the money you could obliterate the performance, ($2000 procharger + smallblock= 600+ hp) but you'd be hard pressed to beat the overall engineering, and refined ride. They really are amazing! Anyone know what early model BMW was penned by the same designer as our beloved 240Zs?

JS

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 06, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by John Scott (edited May 07, 2000).]

Yeah the BMW 507 was designed by albrect (sp?) goertz as well as the 240z...

A buddy of mine has a euro-model 1985 323i. Pretty run of the mill car in europe. I think its 2350lbs and 151hp. About the same as a 240z actually. I think a lot of the attitude that BMW's don't perform is caused by the drivers, and the fact that most of them are 50+ and just bought the car as a status symbol. Well the cars can haul if driven by someone competent.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

My 70+ year old dad, will still put the Bimmer into some nice four wheel drifts in the canyons. First set of tires were under 12,000 mi! My bro. thinks his Dinan Z3 coupe is the neatest thing since the thong bikini! He hasn't said much to me since I forwarded him the Brag Board note on one of our members cleaning up at the BMW sponsored race! Hybrid Zs still rule the road, but with fewer good manners!

JS

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest Anonymous

BMW Z8 was rated higher than the frickin ferrari so calm down turbo. plus with slight modifications you makin 450hp-500hp and they say that you can play with the throttle easier and it has better responce.. (i'm a little partial to BMW because i grew up around them) b_hand.gif

Guest Anonymous

O yeah and the BMW is still more reliable any day, and has anyone seen the BMW M3 GTR, that would kill anyhting a hybrid z can throw at it...