HybridZ

What clutch are you using with your swap.

First off I'm not sure if it's my clutch or throw out bearing that's my issue. Once in a while on a hard high RPM shift, it is like the clutch went out. It will sit there and I can Rev it in gear and it's like I have the clutch pedal pushed in when i don't. . I sit there for just a couple seconds and then it works fine again and won't happen again for a few weeks. I got my engine and t56 pullout all together with 42,000 miles on it, and only separated the 2 to put a speed bleeder cable on it. I've only put about 2k on the car since I got it running. I don't know if this is a symt ok m of the slave cylinder going out or clutch or throw out bearing. If I do have to rear it apart, I will replace everything so I won't have to worry about it for a while. Is it possible to drop just the trans with Johns cars mounts without pulling the engine? And what's a good streetable performance clutch? This car is mainly a street car that will see only a couple events a year maybe.

Could be the clutch master cylinder. Certainly sound like something in the hydraulics.

I am going with a LS6 clutch with aluminum flywheel, but the car is far from running so I can't offer any real feedback. From research it sounded like a good performance upgrade with good drive ability. My research also told me that asking which clutch you like is asking someone if they like Ford or Chevy. Seems to be alot of blind brand loyalty out there. And for the record, I've never owned a Ford.

I went thru 3 new clutch masters before I got one that wasn't bad. Both Tilton and Wilwood. To test your hydraulics, get an AN3 plug or cap from Summit and plug the master. Bench bleed it first. The pedal should be consistently hard. And it should not bleed down with constant pressure on the pedal. I too had an intermittent problem, but it was obvious that I had a problem once I plugged it. Try hard constant pressure and light constant pressure. If the pedal descends slowly, ya got a bad master cylinder. I run a Mantic ER2 from Eastcoast Superchargers in North Carolina. It's an Australian clutch-I bought the whole kit for like $1200. It has 150 clutch drops at 2500-4500 rpm. I have lifted the front tires a few times (planets were in alignment), street drive smoothly and auto cross and HPDE. I just had it apart and it looked great. Only issue is occasional chatter when daily driving (every blue moon) and you need to take a little off the heads of your ARP flywheel bolts with a grinder-it was designed around stock bolts which are a little thinner at the head. The single clutch disc is ceramic on the flywheel side and organic on the pressure plate side. It is rated at 700 hp and I only put 400 hp to it. Clutch feel is light. I went single disc to keep life simple.

Keith,

The problem you describe sounds like a slave cylinder. I had this problem with my Corvette several times. It feels like the clutch is engaged but your foot is not on the clutch pedal. I took the car to GM since it was under warranty twice for the same issue, they claim is debris entering the hydraulics and replaced all of my hydraulics everytime. Makes no sense to me how debris can enter a clsoes system but that's what I was told. Others say it is the fluid being cooked and breaking down since my headers were really close to the clutch hydraulics. I just started bleding the system when I had the problem and it would go away without having to replace anything.

As for clutch I'm using the McLeod RST twin disk. It is supposed to be very street friewndly and holds pleanty of power for my application. TheZguy just sold his barely used RXT twin disk for a good price, too bad you did not snag that one. He said that clutch worked great.