HybridZ

Carburetor on L28ET...?

sandman825

Hey guys,

I have a 77' 280z that I bought from a fella who had swapped in a turbo L28 motor out of an 83' 280zx.  Although he had drawings showing what he supposedly did to the wiring to make it work, I kept having issues and finally decided to just utilize a set of Weber DGV carburetors I have from an older project, hoping to just get the car moving and gain a little momentum with the project, which has had me pretty unhopeful for a while.

I've since installed the DGVs, but am still running into issues on startup.  Will carburetors work on an engine that was designed to be turbo?  One of my buddies brought up the compression ratios used on the tubo motors and how the carburetors will not supply an ample amount of fuel/air to make the engine run....  I've searched and have been unable to find the info I'm looking for.  I hope that doesn't mean its a completely obvious answer....  Help set me straight guys.

Thanks for any info,

Alex

Your buddy isn't doing you any favors with his ignorant misinformation. Please educate him now...

7.4 CR simply means you can run crap gas on your carburetors, nothing more. VW's ran 7.0 CR for decades on carburetors. In fact most builders  on the air cooled stuff recommend only 7.5 as a maximum CR to keep the head temperatures down as the bump in power you get per 0.1 bump in CR is minimal. You really won't notice much of a difference between a 7.4 CR and 8.0 CR setup.

I'm not sure "exactly what you are looking for" since you don't quantify it, but if it's the question 'will carburetors run on a turbo engine as an N/A?' then absolutely positively 100% yes, with no issues whatsoever.