HybridZ

carbon fiber update

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ok guys heres the news... been working on the dash. im way behind schedule on this piece. im tring to ensure that all stock components will fit the carbon dash as well as build the mold strong enuf to withstand multiple castings. anyhoo ive started on the hood which will go MUCH faster so expect it soon. right now im stretched kinda thin with all the glass work and prepping my car for paint and my job and stuff so be pacient im working on it.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 280Tom'z

Hey congrats on the 100th!! rockon.gif I'll be there someday with all my problems. and i have a question about your green car what kind of air dam do you have? And back to the Carbon Fiber sounds like youre making great progress i can't wait to hear about the hood keep up the great work hail.gif

Guest 280Tom'z

hey dom what the low down on the CF so far, did the hood get done??? just wondering havent heard much from any one. hail.gifhail.gifhail.gif

Guest Anonymous

i havent got much done on it, but i should get it done this weekend i hope...... too many irons in the fire. tring to work on the fiber stuff, the car..... then my discus eggs hatched a couple of days ago...... im a busy man. anyway i hope to have a prototype hood out in the next week or so.... then ill start on the hood scoop version. thanks for patience and interest.

dominic

Discus eggs :D What kind?

I'm always surprised at the topics that arise here ugg.gif , my father's been one of a few breeding those for some time now. I used to breed many varieties of freshwater but I never did breed discus. Drop me a line if you're ever looking for breeding stock and I'll put you in touch with my father and his business, quite known for their/his fish.

fish_01.jpg

Family Pet Supercentre

and for some content.......I too am greatly looking fwd to seeing Dominic's project progress cheers.gif

Guest Anonymous

i havent found out exactly what strain they are yet... they are sort of a orange and blue snakeskin pattern. im getting a 4meg dig camera this coming week and ill post some pics for you guys. my eggs hatched 2 days ago and i have well over 100 wigglers. they should be moving to feed off their parents today or tommorow. ive spent the last week watching a 2" by 2" spot in my 4'x2'x2' tank smile.gif ill also post a pic of the first piece to pop out of the mold as i should have the camera by then.

dominic

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

im in the process of preparing my steel hood for molding .... ive also got to order somemore supplies to build the mold itself. this project is going ever so slowly right now for me. ive got a mile long list of honey-do's and other assorted projects. i think im going to bypass making a stock hood for now and shoot straight for the cowl. which means i have to fab a scoop to place on the hood also. would you guys want the 280z vents in the hood also or the cowl scoop only?

Guest JAMIE T

Stock, no cowl, no 280Z vents. I like the smooth minimalist look. I don't like stuff that looks "tagged" on. If you "had" to do a raised hood, I would rather see one that looks stock, only with a slightly raised center.

I believe I would have to side w/JamieT on this.

Only one small modificaton - make sure the raised portion will clear the Stealth Ram if possible.

Now I know what you may be thinking, and I'm not sure it can be done because I don't HAVE one, and don't even HAVE an engine yet, but I'll BUY one and let it be used for measuring.

Possibly keep the same PROPORTIONS of the raised part of the hood, but BIGGER to clear. It would have to be a bit wider (how much?) and a bit taller (how much?)...

I like a sleeper look also - although I may wind up putting some vents in later - like MSA's hood for getting air out from under the hood.

In "just eyeballing" the Stealth Ram, It doesn't look like it would be much taller than a high rise dual-plane w/3" aircleaner, but maybe I'm wrong...Have been before, will be again.

Opinions????

Eh, I have the "SubtleZ" hood on my car. Mild rise to let the heat out and later Z style vents. Works great and looks just fine with the stock lines. This is NOT some tall skyscraper like some of the Mustang dorks run. Subtle is exactly what it is...

Personally, for a part that's probably going to be painted I'm not sure I'd do CF. Maybe paint it and leave the raised section unpainted to show off the CF? I dunno' (shrug). I saved maybe a few lbs with my 'glass hood but the stock one really doesn't weight THAT much. Unless you're going to deviate from the stock look in some way there's not a really good reason so get rid of the stock one IMO.

Guest 280Tom'z

i'm not painting the CF over because i'm painting the Z blk and the CF hood will set off the tuner look like i want it too. oh and forgot to say this earlier but thanks dom for working on this for all us fellow Zers.

Guest Anonymous

ok im confused. in an earlier post, a majority seemed to favor cowl hoods (im going to do both, but one has gotta come first) now im hearing stock? maybe i should

Guest Anonymous

ugggg typing in the dark on a laptop with too many drinks....... anyway. maybe i should let this thread run a bit and see what the majority want? i gotta finish out the hood to prepare it for molding anyway so everyone chime in.....