HybridZ

Transmission Innovations, Anyone?

In the middle of a Powertrain Control Systems conversion of a 4L80E for amateur circuit use in the 280ZX shorty myself, notice that there are all sorts of improved controls for manual gearboxes including Tremecs eg programmed sequential shifting and throttle blip downshifting that it's claimed enable clutchless shifting up or down. 

Am I in a time warp or is nothing like that happening here. Same old same old, surely not.

Not sure if anyone is really pushing the envelopes with automatic transmissions on here.  Lots of guys with autos build for drag racing but not for circuits.

I know that GM has the 6L80E but it's a bit big for the Z and many european cars are now now running 8-spd dual clutch automatic transmissions.  I've also seen aftermarket paddle shifter kits for the GM transmissions but there would need to be some serious work done with the electronics to make them work well on a road circuit.

An alternative to what I'm doing are manual transmission tricks, with say a Tremec. Don't quote me but there are sequential shift conversions available plus downshift blippers that basically make clutch use redundant except to start off and stop. If it all works as it is claimed it should be great for motorsport use.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe someone is interested in something progressive/different so I'll mention that the 4L85E physically fits into the 280ZX shorty quite well, a bit of massaging for the tunnel but no real problem. Next will be tuning the PCS controller, the 85 has been on the trans shops dyno and it all works but tuning the controller for manual shifting is still to be done eg having the brake light switch disengage the torque converter clutch so that when braking there is no chance of the it disengaging and so upsetting the braking balance.

Have you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozbWf_QsPrw   It's been done with electronically controlled transmissions for a number of years.  No programming or shenanigans required.  Install a shifter of your choice and have at it.  Not sure about high load downshifts breaking anything but it will shift to whatever gear you tell it to at any time.