HybridZ

RB20DET vs. SR20DET....

Sparky

as i get closer to finishing my current ZXT swap into my 240....i cant help but think of my next project. so im down to two motors.....RB20 or SR20. Im wondering what you guys think of both, in the three catagorys:

weight

reliabilty

HP potential

thoughts?

I think that being in the U.S. would be the first thing ruling against the rb. If you compare the 2.0 lt rb there really seems to be one answer. The sr is lighter has more/cheeper parts avalable. the power should be similar and mabye work in favour for the sr. It has two less cylinders to drag around. You will also get the weight further back with the 4. It might even pay to look at te ke24 with a turbo kit as well. This is all from a bang for $ piont of veiw, If thats not relavent then the straight 6 always sounds great.

Cheers

Douglas

the SR engine are very stron engines and i have heard 400hp engines with stock bottom end,

to me the Rb is a better engine, but its really up to u, i've never seen a SR Z so it would be great to see one, and hear a 4cylinder sound coming out of it...

Guest Anonymous

The sr20det is rated at 205hp, while the rb20det is 210hp. I would think the rb has more potential for modifying, but it is difficult to fit i've heard. The rb26dett is easier and its got 280hp, but it cost an arm and a leg... so the answer: 1JZ-GTE 280hp, cheap, fits relatively easily

Guest Anonymous

I personally would go to the hassle of getting a RB25DET using aftermarket management and turn the Z into something really special. As far as the SR20DET goes, forget it where is the logic of going down in cylinders?

If you are on a tight budget then L28 with L26 EFI manifold and a turbo, do before and if you need any pursuasion go to:

http://www.usq.edu.au/users/degroot/240z/

This apart from the painted and not chromed bumper is my opinion of the perfect 240Z!!!

I understand not seeing the logic on going down two cylinders. but the fact of the matter is is that the RB is a cast iron block. while bieing 2 liters..just like the SR. but the SR is all alum. and makes almost the same power as the RB20. while RB26...or even RB25 would be very nice..i must consider the fact that living in the US causes a bit of a problem if it ever comes time to rebuild. (also...buying a used motor is not the wisest thing to do. you have no idea of the condition.....and im not just flying out to cali to check out a motor that i might buy. i dont have that kind of money.)but...the SR has a very close cousin in the US that i could get parts for much easier and cheaper. although i would love to have a RB inline in my Z...(as thats the most Z like thing to do.) its not within my budget. but the SR is much closer to being within my limited means. so anyway. looks like im going to go with the SR. probably sometime on 04. unless i can find something better and cheaper. ive also considered the supraTT....but dont like the idea of toyota motor in a Z. call me crazy! but i like to keep it all nissan.

• 2 weeks later...

hey you can get with scottie on this one ... we have a mutual friend that brought back a sr-20 det silva that was modified with pistons porting ect ect and is extremly fast ... not sure on teh weight of the car but im thinking its a bit heavier then the z and if i remember he has this car in teh low 12s. the axles are what is holding him back ,, they keep breaking. the sr motor is very popular in japan and they make it very strong.

I have seen some BIG HP SR & RB engines. But if I was going for the a 4-cylinder Z it would still be the FJ20DET that got my vote. The SR was a less efficient valve train, worse head/chamber design & has been known to spin main bearings when pushed REAL hard.

The FJ is a F1 derived engine & the iron block is waay stronger than the alloy SR.

At the end of the day the RB20/25 is the way to go. Parts are abundant in Japan & Australia for these motors & if I have to get my 'L series' parts from the US, then you guys can buy your RB parts from AUS icon_biggrin.gif

But as we all know, money makes the final decision...

I love JUN's dedication to motorsport and the quality of their products but for 3 and half grand?! That's ridiculous. Heck I've heard stories of KA24DE crank swaps into the SR20DET motor. You just have to do something about the rod/stroke ratio but in the end, will end up with 300cc more of displacement.

However, could I suggest the SR20VET or even the CA18DET? Friend of mine stationed in Japan says he's seen a CA18DET swap in Z that was making more than 400RWHP according to the owner. I think for autocrossing it might be the best way to go in terms of 4-bangers. The SR20VET is another interesting possibility. Nissan managed to lighten the whole assembly by 30 lbs. and incorporated valve timing, microfinished crank + camshafts, reduced roller rocker weight for better reveability and reduction in noise and vibration. Again, just ideas. Any of the engines already mentioned would make one sweet hybrid Z.

ca18 came out in silvias, bluebirds, sentras and that ugly thing with the removable hatch so you can turn it into a wagon. I will say it again, if i lived in the usa, i would do a ka24 wit a turbo. It must be cheeper then the sr20 overthere.

Douglas

The SR20VET came out in the Nissan X-Trail GT suv/hatchback thingamajiggy. It produces 278hp@6500rpm and 260bhp@4200rpm so it's a step above the SR20DET in terms of power production if boost is the same. I'd imagine powerband is also much smoother than the older SR20DET.

Guest Anonymous

Hi,

I've put an rb20det into my 240z. It's a great engine and I really like the easy revving, great top end and smooth, roaring six feel. There were no problems with the bonnet clearing the inlet manifold, as I had custom engine mounts made to sit the engine down close to the steering rack and 20mm from the firewall. It was no extra trouble to get the engine mounts modified, as I had to get a gearbox crossmember made and the sump bowl moved anyway (another tip - the Nissan Patrol sold in Aust with an rb30 has a rear bowl sump that bolts onto an rb20, and fits the zed just fine - I couldn't find one in time for my car).

I'm currently running the stock 3.7:1 open diff, which makes it a big sluggish off boost, but I'm hoping to fix that soon.

My car makes 210hp (155kW) at the wheels, with the stock turbo, 11psi boost, k&n pod filter, 3" exhaust with cat and big front mounted intercooler. I'm aiming for more than 280 hp (200 kW) at the wheels with a bigger turbo, chipped ecu and bigger injectors.

However (!), if you were building something to race, the sr20 would have to be the way to go. In Australia the engines are about the same price, they both seem to have the potential to make 200 kW at the wheels without opening the motor, and the sr must be much lighter.

Is getting parts from Aust, or Japan, such a big problem for a project car? If you need something for it you can order it from overseas, and providing it's not a big component it shouldn't cost you much in shipping fees. The wait would be frustrating, but you really do need another car to drive around while working on your zed anyway.

Any other q's drop me a line,

Charles (rbZ)

oh yea on my last post i think i said my frineds motor was a sr it wasnt its a ca-18... they are a dime a dozen in japan. he took his and did a real good job rebuilding and used all the right parts (strong) and it was really fast. that motor in a Z would be very interesting. You could prabably climb in the engine compartment to work on it ;>

Guest Anonymous

I've got an 85 200sx turbo... I think that is a CA18ET, not a CA18DET... But does anyone know if this engine has any potential for building horsepower? Know if the ca18det exhaust manifolds will fit them? Reason being, I'm sure there are lots of aftermarket manifolds for the det's, and the exhaust manifolds on the ca18et is notorious for cracking.

• 5 months later...
Guest Anonymous

The SR20DET engine/transmission is a very legitimate and potentially potent combination when teamed with a S30 chassis. The main advantage is a vehicle that could weigh less than the factory weight of 2400lbs coupled with a engine that could produce in excess of 500 reliable HP. Power to weight is very important for not only acceleration, but for braking and handling as well.

The SR20DET is not a grenade, however; improper tuning will destroy any engine. With companies like JWT, all you have to do is send in your ECU for reprogramming and purchase the 72lb MSD injectors and Z32 MAF with an upgraded turbo and you could easily achieve 450 RWHP. It's a plug and play proposition. In the quest to achieve higher HP figures, purchase pistons and rods for reliability and P&P the stock head. Consider adding cams and cam gears, O2INDUCTION.COM intake manifold & throttlebody, lightened flywheel, and a 3" downpipe to exhaust and you have yourself a contender.

I am looking to purchase this platform to place into my '73 240Z. There are many SR20DET's in the US that are achieving over 450 reliable HP that are streetable. Ultimately, I will try to achieve close to 580RWHP.

Rob

The SR20DEMON

I'd personally go with an CA18DET over both the SR20DET and the RB20DET. Don't know much about the RB20DET but that cast iron must way a helluva lot more than the all aluminum SR20 block. The SR20 also places engine further back in the engine bay. However, IMO the CA18DET is an ideal choice considering parts are cheaper than SR parts and these engines are very comparable in terms of power output and delivery. The CA18 is a higher-sprung than it's SR and RB20 counterparts.

When I went down the Jersey for Hot IMport NIghts, I had a lengthy chat with a dude that swapped a CA18DET into his 240sx coupe (that's the S13 for our far east friends). He said he got the engine, tranny, wiring, complete for only $1700. You couldn't even get an SR short block for that much here in the States. ALthough I wouldn't pursue a 4-cyl Z, I still think it's a cool idea.

Guest Anonymous

With the right components, the SR20 can easily rev to 10K! This would require a stand alone management system, but it has been done. The affordability of the SR20 isn't out of reach. You can buy a front clip for less than $3K with research. The engine, trans, ECU, harness and ignitors can all be purchased from $2000.

I am not trying to debate the SR20 as the best overall platform to work with, but once installed in a S30, I believe minds would be changed. Besides, if I could get away with it, I'd install a 2JZ-GTE and enjoy 700RWHP. I don't have $10K to invest into my Z right now.

The CA18DET sounds like a viable install, but the affordability and availability of the SR parts is

more inticing. It all boils down to different strokes for different folks.

Heh, I've been looking at some of the articles on engine swaps into the 240SXs. Some of them I've seen on the road have been pretty sweet looking too. I know it's not a 240Z but it's RWD and some of the sport versions look pretty sweet. Unfortunatly emissions concerns make even considering this pretty much a no-go and that sux IMO.

Just out of curiousity, are these motors any more or less an option than the 1JZ and 2JZ other than maybe price? Just have to admit to beaing REALLY intrigued by a JZ swap. These others also intrigue me but I know less about the motors and I know the 2JZ has a SWEET Getrag 6speed ;) Where can I learn more about the SR20 and the other motors discussed here?