HybridZ

window frame water leak, early 260z, sash seal?

evoog

After many months of searching(no previous posts came to a conclusion for my issue), and many failed attempts at repairs, I have come for community advice(especially living on the west coast with el nino coming).

Thanks in advance for reading this.

Car:

260z early 74 production

Problem:

A water leak is present on both the drivers and passenger doors, the water can be seen running down the front side of the door panel onto the carpet(see pic). The leak is coming from the doors and is not from the front windshield, it appears to be coming from the area where the door frame seal and the door to fender seal meet.

Seals:

-the door frame seal, and fender seal have been replaced w/ msa seals

-the lower door has a tight fitment against the seal

-chrome window run channel had a slight gap of fitment to the door frame seal at the top, and wasnt much pressure on the seal(see pictures)

-door frame seal to the door to fender seal had a slight gap that seemed like water could run through.(see picture)

Attempted repair

-both doors have been adjusted, multiple times with no change in leak

-the body was "adjusted with a hammer" to gain better fitment of the door frame seal and the chrome window run channel

-rubber was added, then removed, then added, at the point where the door to fender seal meet the door frame seal. This was in an attempt to provide better sealing, no success

Current thinking:

Have read many issues with the msa weatherstripping, but usually read about how thick it is. It does appear to be thick enough for the lower part of the door, but not where the chrome window run channel meets the door frame seal. It was replaced over a year ago, and I seem to remember the msa door seal being thinner then my stock seals were.

Dont think my window run channel is bent, but kinda ruling this out due to bi lateral water leaks in the same place.

The kit came with a 280z sash seal, which is not indicated for my year, but may possibly fix my issue(hell cant hurt).

-is there a difference between the early 260z chrome window run channel vs the 75-78 280z chrome window run channel?

-Does the sash seal attach to the top of the chrome window run channel, or does it attach to the body(I have been told both)?

-what is the correct direction and placement of the sash seal?

Any other ideas are more then welcome, any pictures of the 280z window run channel or the sash seal are also welcomed.

post-17463-0-15073000-1441910708_thumb.jpg

post-17463-0-75235600-1441910722_thumb.jpg

post-17463-0-45001300-1441910755_thumb.jpg

post-17463-0-66803100-1441910765_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...