My paint plan

kerrys914

Here is my plan:
Fall
Sand car down with 80grit to remove old respray
Sand down to metal where filler will be needed
Apply filler where I can and get as close to flat as possible in this stage
Apply epoxy primer on car (2 coats) over whole car
Let car sit for the winter and work under it on the suspension smile.png until it warms up

Spring
Sand epoxy primer with 120grit
Apply polyester primer 2-3 coats
Guide coat the whole car
Sand with 220grit
Apply light weight filler
Guide coat specific areas
Sand with 320grit
Add filler
Guide coat specific areas
Sand with 400 grit

Take it to a paint shop to add base coat and clear... smile.png

Thoughts?

If you do a good job you can basically skip all those filler steps at the end and go straight to sealer/base. Most of the "hard lifting" body work should happen before the epoxy, then you get two chances to clean up small blemishes. I also wet sanded the 400 before sealer/base...made life easier.

The nice thing about epoxy is you can use filler on it. Most of the newer primers do not let you put filler on them. So you need to know what paint you can get before you make that choice (EPA has state specific laws). Have a talk with your local paint supply.

As a side note, if you knock out the big stuff before primer, you can build the primer up got get the little stuff as is low spots, not dents.

Agreed.

Just pointing out that if care is taken beforehand, most of the bodywork could be sorted before epoxy and all the glaze filler steps can be avoided after poly primer surfacer. 

Just did the following with my car:

Down to metal.

Bodywork.

Epoxy - guidecoat - three small filler spots.

Poly primer surfacer - guidecoat - 400 wet sand.

Off to a professional shop for sealer/base/clear.

post-32762-0-74681100-1443717997_thumb.jpg

post-32762-0-06923500-1443718011_thumb.jpg

Best way is to do all your filler work over the epoxy.  Filler over bare metal absorbs moisture and doesn't adhere as good as epoxy to bare metal then filler over epoxy. I do this for a living and every Restoration Shop I know of epoxies then does any filler work over the epoxy.  Collision repair shops almost never do it this way due to the extra time involved but if it's something you care about it's worth the effort.

Here is a great forum for learning about body and paint work. There are a lot of top pro's that post here and very good advice. Check it out.

http://www.spiuserforum.com/

Edited by Chris_Hamilton