HybridZ

Drivetrain Dimensions

MrPhotographer06

So, Ive searched high and low and only found one thread with answers..

It seems that the s30 Rear WMS to WMS is 55"
What is the front dimension? While I know I could potentially just make whatever I want since I'm tube framing, but I'm trying to make certain components work and mock up where I should be. Is the front also 55"?

The track with I found was 53.5 front and 55 rear.

I'm looking at front WMS to WMS measurements of 59" right now. I could shorten, but not exaclty wanting to. I think this is going to call for some ugly high positive offset wheels. ):

Pretty sure you can logic-out that tread width = what you're looking for.  Two tires, different widths = zero offset.  Zero offset means tread width = WMS-to-WMS.  Measured from tread center.  Zero offset.  It's the only way to make the facts coherent.

Note the note about "at curb weight".  Tread width changes.

Edit - changed same to different.

Edited by NewZed

Pretty sure you can logic-out that tread width = what you're looking for.  Two tires, different widths = zero offset.  Zero offset means tread width = WMS-to-WMS.  Measured from tread center.  Zero offset.  It's the only way to make the facts coherent.

The 280Z wheels were not zero offset - they had a 15mm (0.59") offset which I'm assuming was positive.  So I'm pretty sure that this means you would have to add two times the offset to the the tread width to get the WMS-to-WMS dimension, assuming that tread width is measured to the center of the treads.

Note the note about "at curb weight".  Tread width changes.

WMS-to-WMS will change too.

Dang.  I guess the charts are inconclusive then.  If a 195 and 175 width tread give the same tread, I assumed zero offset.  Otherwise, the extra 20 mm would be a + or a - to tread.  Unless by "tread", Nissan means WMS to WMS.  Maybe a translation problem.  I don't know why they'd spec. tread based on tire, and show one tread, but two tire sizes.  Or maybe "tread" generally means WMS to WMS in car suspension world.

Better than a crossword puzzle..

Edited by NewZed

I was under the impression that tread and track were the same thing. Track is middle of contact patch to middle of contact patch.

Assuming that its nearly the entire tire width, no mater the width, the middle is the middle. Thats how I read it anyway. If i still had stock suspension, i'd measure it lol

Dang.  I guess the charts are inconclusive then.  If a 195 and 175 width tread give the same tread, I assumed zero offset.  Otherwise, the extra 20 mm would be a + or a - to tread.  Unless by "tread", Nissan means WMS to WMS.  Maybe a translation problem.  I don't know why they'd spec. tread based on tire, and show one tread, but two tire sizes.  Or maybe "tread" generally means WMS to WMS in car suspension world.

Better than a crossword puzzle..

No - it should still work, as offset is measured from the tread centerline to the WMS, a wider tire wouldn't have an effect. 

You're right.  Got lost on the edges.  So if he knows stock wheel offset, he knows what he wants to know, from the table of dimensions.  Factory numbers, not worn-out car measurements.

post-8864-0-69251000-1445993945_thumb.png

Edited by NewZed

You're right.  Got lost on the edges.  So if he knows stock wheel offset, he knows what he wants to know, from the table of dimensions.  Factory numbers, not worn-out car measurements.

Yes, I believe so.  As you already noted, the "at curb weight" part is still important, as the wheel ends move in an arc with suspension travel.

Edited by TimZ

Awesome. so in theory..

54.25" WMS to WMS Front

53.95 WMS to WMS Rear.

My new front suspension is

59" WMS to WMS giving me 2.375" wider track on both sides. With zero offset wheels I'd be sitting 3.375" wider than stock.. so a decent positive offset, camber and my MSA flares should get me close. Probably shouldve bought wide flares lol

P.S. I see this info is 280z, i'm assuming 71 240 is the same..

Edited by MrPhotographer06

P.S. I see this info is 280z, i'm assuming 71 240 is the same..

I would not have assumed that, as I thought at a minimum the wheel offsets were different.  However a quick check with a 240Z service manual (found here) confirms that they were in fact the same.