HybridZ

REPLUMB THE TANK

Corzette

Guys, how do I replum the gas tank on a stock 240? Do I have the guy at the VAT shop cut out the existing fuel pick ups and just have him weld a 1/2 inch steel tube down into it? I am having the same probs that Mikelly was having BUT I still have the stock lines coming out of the tank which are smaller than 3/8. I hear a hissing sound when the pump is on and the clear fuel filter up front will bubble when the pump is shut off. does the tank vent line supposed to stay connected to the neck by the fuel cap or repositioned? Any help is appreciated.

CorZette

Guest Anonymous

I'm on the same boat as CorZett. Will the later gas tank bolt right into my 73? Does it matter if the later tank comes from a coupe or 2+2? Does the later tank hold more fuel? This info will be very useful.

Thanks in advance Glenn.

Glen, I think the coupe 280 Z tanks are the same with the 3/8 pickup. I am gonna buy the tank today from the junk yard. I will have it vatted and also on the bottom of the tank in back of the drain plug, I am gonna have them weld on a fitting for a 3/8 inch fitting. That way if the line up top is still too small. I can attach a hose from the bottom of the tank, (like a fuel cell). These fittings come in 3/8 to 3/8 and 3/8 to 1/2. You can get them for about $1.00 each at a hose shop. Then you have to find a filter with 1/2 in and out if you have the 1/2 line. I plummed my fuel line before when I put my rebuilt engine in. I have 1/2 line from the pump to the regulator and then 3/8 to the carbs. I'll let you know how this works. I have a 73 as well...the pain ohh the pain...by the way...does your car cut out at the top of second or third gear after it has ran awhile? Do you lose fuel pressure after it warms up? It acts like the tank doesn't vent right. There is an apparent vacuum in the tank....I would think about checking the venting on the new tank as well or installing a rollover valve from JEGS etc...about $20.00. Well more later.....

CorZette

------------------

CorZette

73 240Z/357 SBC WITH L88 COWL INDUCTION HOOD

Consider a fuel cell guys. I just had one done in my car and while I did lose the spare tire well I now have TONS of room under the car for mufflers and whatnot :-) Only 10 gallons but it's foam filled and solidly mounted. you have to be careful about how low you mount them though - mine's flush with the rear deck to prevent it from hitting curbs when I back in (gulp). -8 to the front and I'm good to go!

Guest Anonymous

Cozette, I drove my car with a mild 350,275 h.p.?, for over 1.5 years that included 2 Az summers without any fuel delivery problems other than a Summit fuel pump that starting leaking. By the way I recomend staying away from these pumps. Its made of plastic & had bad placement of the seals. Defenitly a fire hazard. I replaced it with a Holley Blue pump & am real happy with it. My tank & lines are stock 5/16ths. I had no problem maintaning proper fuel pressure no matter how hot it was out or how long it was running. I did some extensive checking of the car one day when it was 118 deg out in the shade. After a long drive I checked actual coolant temp with my multimeter, gage in the dash was pegged but it only reached 210 deg. Fuel pressure was right at 5.5 psi. Im currently building another 350 with alot more power & definetly need to upgrade my line size but can not budget a cell at this time. I think I'll try the later tank for now because I need to get the car running soon.

Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn Richelsoph (edited August 15, 2000).]

After installing a cell in my car I had more than enough room to run 2 1/2 dual ex. and I don't have to worry about any corrosion from an old gas tank getting in to my lines or regulator. If you can manage it I strongly urge you to save up and buy a cell. If you build a motor that needs more fuel you may be sorry that your old tank and smaller lines won't do the job. Plan carefully so you only have to do the job once. I learnt this the hard way a couple of times.

------------------

Drewz

Thanks guys. I DO want to get a cell and will but I don't have the money or time right now. My engine was running fine with the stock motor and Holley 600 but after I Bored it 40 over and put a 510 lift cam etc...it just dies if and sputters if I floor it for too long. I am sure the engine sucks alot more gas than before. Its around 350 HP or so. What is a good cell to buy that has the sender built in? Around 12 or 15 gallons.

CorZette

------------------

CorZette

73 240Z/357 SBC WITH L88 COWL INDUCTION HOOD

I'd look at the Summit Racing Cells that are offered for around $180. They have an option for sender and you can mount them fairly easily...

I personally have an RCI aluminum unit and wish I had gone with a fuel Safe Cell and housing...

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

A fuel cell is definitely on my to-do list. After I priced it out completely with the cell, straps, AN fittings, hose, cutting out the spare tire well and mod for the filler cap, I had to put those funds into something else. Guess I will just have to continue making sure I have at least 8-9 gallons when I run.

Couple weeks ago, Daniel brought his 5.0L Z-car to the track. He had a fuel cell and dual exhaust and man, did that look awesome. Need to get some pics and post them.

Are you listening Daniel? Drop me a line.

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

http://www.mindspring.com/~vscott911/gnz.html

I ended up with a Triangle 10gallon tank. Cut out the spare tire well, welded steel supports, bolted it on with the top tabs, it mounts flush with the rear deck. It's got a little welded steel "house" that looks liek the top of a hat box to cover both the sender and the filler. Dzus'ed door for fill purposes. NOT exactly how I wanted it (wanted rear fill) but short of a custom tank this is what I got. Tank is foam filled and Alston Chassis was the only place I could find the darned things! $260 some odd dollars and yes it's aluminum. No straps, it's bolted to the welded frame. be sure you coverseal it well though - my cover is only loosley riveted for now and fumes enter easily!

I used the stock 240Z tank, but welded a sump on the bottom (like a cell). I cut out the spare tub, and centered the tank. Made new straps and mounts. Above the low part of the tank, I sunk a home made battery box in the floor for my battery.

My brother is a aluminum pressure welder so everything cost me about 160 canadian. Where can I get a gas fill cal like the on on a AC cobra?

------------------

Drewz

Drewz, you might be able to find a neat custom cap (not exactly like the cobra) by checking out motorcycle stores, and looking at the gas caps on some of those. If you've ever seen the cap on the new Audi TT, you can get a similar one to that at motorcycle places, and it looks sweet on the Z.

------------------

Drax240z

1973 240z - L28TURBO transplant on the way!

http://members.xoom.com/r_lewis/datsun.html

Excellent idea bud, I would not have come up that one any time soon. I checked out your site and couldn't agree more with the teflon thing. I am a mechanic and some of the products on the market make me sick. Later!

------------------

Drewz