HybridZ

Opinions On Fuel Cells

Sorry to bring up this oft-discussed topic, but I need opinions.

I want to install a fuel cell and have already cut out the spare tire well, so there is no going back. The cell must have the rear sump for drag racing, not break my wallet, and I do not care if it does not have a sender. The only ones I see that fit the bill are the poly cells. I have my eye on the Summit 12-gal unit with the foam. With its 17.5x16x10 dimensions, I could fit it with minor trimming to the existing floor.

So, here are my questions:

- What are the negatives with the poly units? I already have some negative feedback, but want to see if there are any others

- Should the filler be under the floor and accessed by a trapdoor or can it be flush or above the floor?

- Whats the opinion on venting? Is there some sort of check valve that will prevent fumes escaping when the pump is not running?

Remember that the car is not my daily driver and when driven on the street, is just for fun runs or drives to the track (as much as 160 miles away). Right now I have a cavitation problem when launching hard unless I have at least 9 gals in the stock tank. $5.50/gal eek.gif and I also think that contributed to me blowing a head gasket.

TIA,

Scottie

Okay, I did an aluminum cell. I can't say for sure that the poly tanks aren't good but I just didn't feel comfortable with a poly tank. Static electricity buildup (no joke) and worries about heat were primary in my mind.

I went with a Triangle aluminum tank with sump. The rollover valve that Jeg's and Summit sell for big bux does NOT fit! If someone can use it though let me know - I'll sell you mine cheap. I picked up a cheaper valve on the 'net that's made to fit in a vent hose. My intent, once I figure out the size fitting my darned vent takes, is to run braided hose to the stock vapor thingy with a rollover valve inline.

As for a fill. I bought the nice 45degree cast filler tube with hopes of a rear fill. Nope! I'll sell that cheap too :-) My tank is mounted FlUSH with the rear deck. However a steel "house" has been built over it. This protects the sender and the filler. It's just tall enough to cover both and has a door to open for filling. I'm not positive that it will pass tech this way but I did at least try to comply with the spirit which says that a "bulkhead" must seperate the driver from the tank. The tank in my car is mounted just under a panel that this "house" is riveted to. I've got some pics it that would help - just say the word!

Scottie,

Don't get a poly tank. I saw two this summer at car shows that had collapsed and bowed inward from the top. Both were Summit brang, which might make a differnece, maybe not.

I have an aluminum cell and I am currently suffering from cell Aeration... My fuel guage will rice and fall during idle at a stop light. I called Summit and Art Morrison both to get pointers. Art Morrison was a big help and told me that those cells really need foam in them to help with that problem. If you get an aluminum cell, make sure you get foam in it. I'm selling mine over the winter and am gonna go with the Summit Cell that has a safe and all the extras for circle track. I'm gonna modify the pickup so it pulls from the center, and then I'm gonna make the bail dump out behind the license plate.

You are more than welcome to my cell. I'm selling it with all fittings and a vent roll over valve for $150 plus shipping (All fittings and the cell ran me $250-270). Has about 2000 miles of use on it but it doesn't have foam in it, which runs about $50.

Mike Kelly

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

Guest Anonymous

I have a poly cell I believe it is the Jazz brand. Took it out last night to chase grimlins and the top was collapsed just as mike described. An aluminum cell is going back in. Good luck. Mark

Mike, your's didn't coe with foam? Wow, I must have lucked out! Got mine from Morrison as they were the only ones that had one after RCI went out of business (!). Getting seat belts is a bitch right now because of RCI too. Haven't seen the plastic ones buckle before but it's no surprise - bummer. The way you're going now will be safest of all.

I'll be real interested to see how you get the fill in the rear plate. I've tried to do this myself but the angles just didn't work out with the darned fill being in the center of the tank. The angle was nearly flat and filling it would've been way slow I was afraid. The Impallas have a nice flip down tag frame BTW :-)

Mine came with foam. I got water/ contaminated fuel in it and chucked the foam when I had the cell shotpeened where it was apparently damaged in shipping. One fitting would not seal up on the sump, so it was shotpeened and the problem went away!

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

It's true about the NHRA rule concerning the feul cell being inside the passenger compartment,as I was warned to change it before I returned to the strip. I have also noticed that if the poly feul cells staps are tightend to much they will collaspe the cell top and bottom.I run a harwood 8 gallon cell with foam and 2 outlets,it's small and compact with no collapsing. Blkmgk I like the idea of the trap door above the cell,sounds NHRA legal.

Mine wouldn't pass SCCA but MIGHT pass NHRA. Working slowly towards getting a WEB server up so when I do I'll post some pics. If you can get hold of a circle track type catalog you'll find some nice cells with bladders, safes, and I think even foam for decent prices. I don't know for sure how well they'd pass tech but last I spotted some I thougth the prices were pretty good considering I'd paid close to $200 for my aluminum cell. I won't be doing any competition racing (SCCA) but maybe some play time - hopefully they'd let me on the track. Same with NHRA, some track time but nothing real serious. I'm building this mostly for the street and fun so I wanted it reasonably safe and decent looking. A serious rear end collision would likely breach the cell but hopefully it wouldn't come into the passenger compartment very easily. Geez, now I'm paranoid :-)

I'll wait to see what Mike does, what it costs, and then decide if I want to follow his lead (grin). A FuelSafe system would've been ideal but the costs I was seeing were WAY out of my budget for now (sigh).