HybridZ

Running 280turbo inj. on a Z20/24E hybrid engine.

spiff

Hello, not exactly a Z but hopefully you can help me brainstorm this idea I got...

You see I bought a Datsun 1600 pickup, a 720 with a J16 engine, and I am in the process of swapping the engine out in favour of a Z24, that I will be converting to EFI using the manifold and injection system from the Z20E engine. Pretty easy stuff, but that's only the first step. When this is up and running I'll later put a turbocharger on it, I have a Z18ET manifold with a RB25DET turbo bolted on lying in my garage. I was originally thinking of running the SDS EIC I have but read a couple of articles on these flapper type mafs and modifying them or the signal in order to run bigger injectors. I don't know the size of the Z20E but they're green like the later 280Z injectors, so 180cc or somewhere in that region maybe? Can i put the 260cc turbo injectors on and either modify the signal using potmeters, or adjust the tension on the flapdoor spring? Or even the 280zx turbo maf? But they appear to be the same as the one I already have so perhaps just calibrated different. 

I'm not looking for massive amounts of boost or mad horsepower here, just need the extra torque the turbo provides, these engines aren't great performers anyways so no point going overboard with it....(I consider drilling holes in the intake runners and adding four extra 440cc injectors to be a little overboard(the eic setup i have) :P)

Can i put the 260cc turbo injectors on

Why?  

Factory EFI systems are designed for certain flow rates.  You'd have to adjust the system back to the same performance you'd get from the stock injectors.  When you're all done, no benefit.

Is the z24 the engine with 8 spark plugs?,  You may want to lower the compression before going turbo.. Not sure what the compression ratio is..

Have you thought about going stand alone ecu.. Microsquirt's are cheap...

Mine has 4, 8 plug napz heads aren't that common on Z engines here in europe as we didn't have as strict emission requirements as the us.  Compratio on these are about 8,5:1 if i'm not mistaken. I have thought about standalone but much work for little gains on this project, I'm going the cheapo route, I already have all the parts and also a couple of extra injector setups but instead of drilling and welding injector bungs and adding fuelrails and all that if I can just swap in the turbo injectors and recalibrate maf then thats what I would prefer to do.

The stock injectors max out at 0.2 bars of boost, I'm gonna run about 0.4-0.5 bars of boost so I really dont need a whole lot more fuel.

Why?  

Factory EFI systems are designed for certain flow rates.  You'd have to adjust the system back to the same performance you'd get from the stock injectors.  When you're all done, no benefit.

Why? Because turbo, as I wrote in my original post :)

Spiff, the answer is no. It won't work.

You need a programmable system, something you can adjust and control. If you're hung up on stock efi, try the later Nissan ECU's that have Nistune capability. If you can get one of those ECUs, then yes, it can be tuned to work well. Maybe some of the turbo volvo ECU's are tunable?

However, the stock 280ZX turbo injectors are not my first choice-pick something from a turbo volvo, I know you have plenty of those out there. A new fuel rail and modern injectors will go a long way towards easier tuning.

I was reading this article here which mentions modifying the afm signal in order to run bigger injectors: http://www.autospeed.com/cms/article.html?&A=110359

Thats where I got the idea, with turbo injectors would look factory and I like that. I also like experimenting and fiddling with this kind of stuff :)

If it doesn't work then I'll just use my extra injector setup. 

Old volvos are starting to decrease in numbers now, but they still have a strong following the ones that are left and some builds are best described as insane, I'm not sure their ecu can be modified but I know the ecu chip can be swapped.

Nistune has also become costly in the last years since I fiddled with it and it's a whole lot more than I'm willing to spend on this build. On my Z32 though I will be going nistune, thats the car thats getting the good stuff, the 720 is just a fun little sideproject.

And if the efi on this truck ever goes bad then I guess a CA18 or SR20 efi system with nistune can be retrofitted, I was gonna fit a RB efi system with nistune on my old L28ET S30 but the car ended up being sold before that