HybridZ

Fuel Pressure Guages

Guest Frank280z

Guest Frank280z

I installed a VDO inline guage. The guage reads 2psi when the car isn't running. And 9 when it is. Defective?? Should it be at complete zero? I never had one of these guys before.

Frank

I've had a bunch of them and all of them read differently when under no pressure. I'd not worry about it. I've got several on hand and all of them read the same when under load. I've used Autometer, Marshall, Warren, Summit, and Holley and they all are pretty accurate.

Mike

------------------

"I will not be a spectator in the sport of life!"

mjk

• 6 months later...

FWIW - many of the "electric" high pressure fuel gauges that used to be sold for the Ford guys were just relabeled oil pressure gauges - senders and all!

If you're running a high enough pressure (9psi=no way!) then you can use an eletric Oil Pressure gauge. I've seen isolators for the high pressure mechanical ones but they're a PITA to get clear of air and I've heard rumors of problems with them bursting diaphragms.

I believe Autometer may have changed the design, I vaguely recall seeing something recently on their site. I need to check into it myself - the person I bought the RX7 from didn't use an isolator (gulp). Some of the Japanese gauge makers have some VERY nice electric ones too with peak hold etc. ($$).