HybridZ

CV Joint replacements for half-shafts

I saw this ad on eBay for these half-shafts. Don't know if they are worth it or not, but considering the expense some have put into changing out the half-shafts, I thought I would mention it.

I don't know if it allowed to put a link, but this is the auction number   221481941600

i am tempted to take the plunge because there is a 2 yr warranty and the guy has decent feedback.

Any thoughts?

Medic8

Replacing your half-shafts with CV's is not just a bolt in affair on S30s.  You still need adapters.  I suggest researching this site for more information on the conversion.  A vendor, Checkered Joe, sells the adapters for a couple different CVs conversions if I remember correctly.  Sadly, another vendor, Wolf Creek Racing, passed away a couple years ago, though I believe that Checkered Joe is acquiring the rights to his adapters.

That's a mistake in some database that's out there.  I actually sent  the manufacturer that started the whole mess an email about it and they said that they had just assumed that all of the halfshafts (drive shafts) were the same.  Too late, they couldn't fix it, now it's out there for ever, like rebuild kits for FS5W71A 280Z transmissions.  CV half shafts didn't show up until 1981.

Replacing your half-shafts with CV's is not just a bolt in affair on S30s.  You still need adapters.  I suggest researching this site for more information on the conversion.  A vendor, Checkered Joe, sells the adapters for a couple different CVs conversions if I remember correctly.  Sadly, another vendor, Wolf Creek Racing, passed away a couple years ago, though I believe that Checkered Joe is acquiring the rights to his adapters.

Just got done talking with Dave Patten, now owner of WC Racing:

April 1st, 2016

The CV Axles are currently on B/O (ETA Late April), but can still be ordered. All orders will be filled when stock is available. 

The B/O was due to a design upgrade. 

The revised FutoFab WCR CV Axle no longer uses aluminum adapters with thread inserts to keep the CV bolts from pulling out. Thread inserts are popular for field repairs, but IMO should not be used on a new part.  We have upgraded our adapters to 4140 Chromoly steel and now use metric M8x1.25 CV bolts that thread directly into the steel adapter, not into a thread repair insert. The wheel side adapter has also been upgraded to capture the bolt head in the adapter. This keeps the bolt from rotating when tightening the adapter to the companion flange. It makes both installation and keeping the adapter tight a much simpler operation. 

Dave Patten, Owner

FutoFab, LLC

199 Stark Hwy So
Dunbarton, NH 03046-4411

Telephone - (603) 774-6964
Facebook - FutoFab LLC

Ordered his CV Axels for the r200!

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you to all that replied.

I have spent many hours reading the previous posts about the swaps and am very grateful for those that have shared their knowledge and experiences.

The deal seemed a bit too good to be true, so I thought I would ask the forum members. I guess I will end up going with the FutoFab setup when it becomes available.

Thanks again to all that post here.

Jim