HybridZ

Electrical/Starter issue

Did some searching and found several post's for similar issues but did not find specific answers so here goes and thanks for any answers that are given.

I have a old 72 240Z that I track when I have the opportunity the issue is it wont start, starter motor is not turning over.

Checked voltage at solenoid on small wire when ignition switch is at start position, no voltage

Checked voltage at black and yellow wire at starter switch when on start position and am getting 12 volts

There is a relay on passenger side under dash by the blower/fan motor, this relay clicks when turning ignition switch on and to start position White and red wire has constant 12 volt supply and then the other wires have power when ignition switch is turned with exception of black wire. Looked up P/N for this relay 2530-E4100 and it was listed on the microfiche as a back window relay?

Looked at the factory Nissan wire diagrams and see that a relay is listed for a A/T car.

Took a screwdriver and went from positive terminal of starter from battery to small wire on solenoid and car started.

Just wanted to clarify couple of things:

If I put a ohm meter between BLK/YEL wire of ignition switch and starter should there be continuity or is there a relay between these two points that would show an open circuit?

Does the relay on the passenger side previously described play any part in this?

Once again thanks for any help tat you can give me, absolutely hopeless with electrical stuff

If I put a ohm meter between BLK/YEL wire of ignition switch and starter should there be continuity or is there a relay between these two points that would show an open circuit?

If you look at the Body Electrical section of the 1972 Factory Service Manual, you'll see that the circuit from the Ignition Switch to the Starter Solenoid is simple, has no other connections, no relay, no fuses .  (It will go through at least one connector - from the dash harness to the engine bay harness - maybe more than one)  Pretty much one wire straight from the switch to the solenoid.  B/Y is only used in the Datsun harness for this one purpose.  Use the harness diagrams in the FSM and you can trace it's path.

This is one of the most common problems in Z cars.  You just THINK yours is different than everyone else's...  Make sure you have a complete circuit from the ignition switch and install the starter relay kit and you won't have the problem anymore.