HybridZ

V8 Air Cleaners

Guest Anonymous

Maybe for class rules...Dunno.

Pete, you should not cough up the $$$ for ram air box--your engine compartment is too sano for a lot of plastic, yes? Just get to fabbing your own out of polished aluminum sheetmetal or something like that. Heck, what a couple of more months on the back of 11+ years!!! lol icon_biggrin.gif

David

Sorry, Pete, I couldn't resist--you do the best work I've seen yet! You gotta know that.

Davy, thanks again for the Kudos, but ain't no way I'd stop the project for that mod - it's one of those "once the car's on the road things".

I was thinking about some kind of custom setup for the 14" air cleaner though. Some kind of fabbed up stuff to sandwich in between the edges of the top and bottom of the cleaner lids with 3" outlets pointed downward just below the strut tower bar, and silicon hose to the holes on either side of the radiator. Then again, maybe steel 3" tubing running to the openings, and have them stainless ceramic coated? Back into the high dollar stuff again icon_wink.gif.

There are alot of those "it'll have to wait" projects on my car these days. The car's in paint jail for at least another 3 weeks. If that's all, I can throw a few interior parts in, put the glass and lights in, and start driving and debugging the thing. Hopefully still make the Kingston Convention!

BTW, took the Roll bar to the the body/street rod shop tonight and the guys are going to put it in for me BEFORE they paint it.

And I do have a bracket made up to mount the Corrola Mirrors in the front corner of the windows - very simple, with no fasteners, just high performance epoxy.

[ April 27, 2001: Message edited by: pparaska ]

Ross, It was the triangular Shell unit, not the one with the mesh cover. They basically took that unit and re-did it with the sheet matterial and the ducts they bought from the hardware store, some rivets and the darned thing looked really good.

Pete, The ramair box is made of fiberglass, and I'll admit, it isn't the most pretty piece of hardware. Your car is gonna be show quality, so you might consider getting one custom fab'ed up.

All, the fresh air ducts on the ealr 70-78 Zs are plumbed from the two plastic ducts up front in the radiator core support (As Lone mentioned). The other port Pete mentioned does funnel air in around the wiper cowl, but is WAY in-efficiant as Donna and I found out last year.

Mike icon_biggrin.gif

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Hey Lone, you are absolutly right on about the duct idea. I did that exact thing about a year ago. By taking out the drivers side plastic duct (one screw and pull) you get a perfect 3" hole ready made! I just went to Home Depot and got a 3" water heater type duct, the kind that you turn to get different angles, and stuck it halfway through the hole. It is perfect as you can adust the angle on both sides of the radiator support with that one piece.

The 3" K&N filter I ordered from Autozone (they have a cataloge so you can order any size/shape you want) fit exactly on the end in front of the radiator. On the other end 3" aluminum duct from HD again, got it in the bathroom fart fan department.

Then Mikelly's idea about riveting a 3" round-to-rectangle duct (HD again) to any aftermarket air cleaner and surround the rest of the air cleaner with thin aluminum/copper/brass/whatever look you want. If you rivet to the bottom of the air cleaner only you can still remove the top. If I can figure out how to post a pic here I will take some....someday. icon_cool.gif

As for losing the vent, I recently installed a sunroof to help keep me cool. A very nice unit with flip up or removeable tinted glass. A little scary at first, cutting the roof, but am very happy with the results.

Guest Anonymous

Yeah, I've since made other plans (seems like this whole project is a meandering road and I make it up as I go... icon_smile.gif ). I have a L-88 cowl I'll be molding into the stock hood and have a 5" x 14" air filter which will poke through the hood and draw air from the back. I'll create a box for the filter base and it'll have rubber that'll seal to the hood so it'll only see cool air (ambient outside temp to be more precise). It'll look pretty good I think, its a tad taller than I expected it to be, but at about 4" still can be seen over. So now I can put the roots blower or tunnel ram on someday... icon_smile.gif

Regards,

Lone

hey i just got the xstream air cleaner about a week ago, made a little bit of a difference, i can really hear the air getting sucked into the carb ALOT more, but i want to make some type of air ram system to see if i cant get some more......