HybridZ

Fuel pump, I think? HELP!!!!

OK, I was out driving today and getting on it a little. My car was cutting out and dying a little. I got back to town and it kept dying. It acted like it was out of gas. I looked in the engine at the clear fuel filters just before my carb and noticed that no fuel was pumping. I waited about 5 minutes and the car started pumping fuel again. I have a Holley Blue pump that is very loud and it was very quiet and barely pumping. When I got it home, it quit pumping again. The trip home was about two blocks. After a while, it started pumping again. I checked to make sure that I had gas and disconnected everything at various locations to make sure I was getting gas. I was getting gas so I started it and it quit pumping gas within a minute. The pump was still whirring only quietly. No fuel was coming through. I noticed quite a bit of rust in the fuel filter so I even blew out the line. What do you think? Is my pump biting the dust? Which pump is quieter? Does anyone have a pump that does not sound like I have a beehive in the hatch?

I don't like the Holley pumps. They are lounder than all get out and seem to fail regularly. Bang on it and see if it starts making noise again icon_biggrin.gif I used to keep a mallet in my Camaro for that purpose icon_mad.gif The Carter pump seems quieter and more reliable. Just base your purchase on how much fuel delivery you need for your motor. I have heard somewhere that the carbed RX7 fuel pump is good for NA mild motor.

If rust is in the filter then maybe your fuel tank is rusting & that rust has clogged your fuel pump!

Datsun tanks are metal arent they-I cant honestly remember ever tapping on one...or are they plastic? I dont think plastic tanks came on to the scene yet way back in the 70's so they must be metal; your tank is probably rusting.

You'll need to buy either a new tank or remove that tank & purchase the appropriate chemicals to burn out the rust & then to reseal the inside of the tank; sometimes this works & sometimes the rust is so bad the tank is not sealable.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

OK, my fuel pump problem was from tank rust, but I already knew that. I had a POR-15 tank liner kit laying around. I have a Carter 5 psi pump on the way. I think that is enough to fuel my 350hp sbc. When I took the tank down to line it, I ran into the carbon canister on the back. I have a 1974-1/2. I don't think I need the carbon canister or any of the lines. Is there any reason that I can't just run a line directly from the tank to pump to engine? Do I need some sort of

breather and if so, what do I do? Tomorrow, I am finishing the lining of my tank, installing the new carter pump and maybe throwing all of that carbon or charcoal canister away. Please help!