HybridZ

My car won't shut off, WHY????????

Lockjaw

Originally posted by labrat:

And then, to buy a stinking watch battery, you have to give your name, address, and phone number. Sorry, my mom doesn't even have all three of those...

I dislike any retail store that asks those personal questions.

I just tell them its a cash sale; then they say we only need it so we can send you a catalogue...then I tell them I dont want your catalogue: I just want the item I'm attempting to pay cash for....at that moment if you're talking to a young teen whose new to the work force you get a funny look. If you are talking to a professional whose been around they usually realize you are not going to answer their rediculous questions: then they ring up the sale.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Alright, Finally found it. Remember the May 2002 issue of Car Craft?

In that issue their heading was "Fuel Injection for any Engine". They swapped the carb'd engines for fuel injected engines and discussed any/every possible requirement for doing the swap.

Anyway, one of the engine swaps was for a 65 Biscayne that got lucky in that it received as its transplant a GM Ramjet FI engine.

The guys said they were elated when the engine fired up immediately....but then they were curiously bamboozled when they couldnt shut the engine off (with the key). They had to pull the primary ignition lead just to shut the engine off.

A few calls to some wiring harness gurus gave them the answer. It was explained that the alternator was getting feedback from the Idiot Light circuit & then to the ignition.

To confirm if you are getting feedback from the idiot light (if you have one-DID YOU SWAP GAUGES FROM A 280z TO YOUR 260z?); you can disconnect your two-wire plug at the back of the alternator, after you have already turned the key off, and the engine should shut down-if that was the source of the extra unwanted power.

As it was explained by the expert, with a factory non-transistorized ignition, the ignition coil draws a considerable amount of current directly from the ignition circuit when the engine is running. When the factory system is replaced w/a transistorized computer controlled ignition system, which draws much less current, surplus current present in the charging system finds the source of least resistance back to the ignition thru the voltage regulator and/or its idiot light on dash's amp gauge.

This feedback is enough to keep the computer ignition energized when the key is turned off, so the engine will continue running.

Their expert also said this continual running condition is common when a capacitive-discharge ignition system, such as an MSD, is wired to an older car with either an internal or an external voltage regulator.

Hope this helped; if nothing else it confirmed what others have already said.

Keep us posted; my curiosity (and your sanity) needs to know the answer to your problem. cry2.gif

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)