HybridZ

stock zxt advance curve

fl327

im wondering if a msd 6btm box is needed in my upcoming turbo mods. i know that the zxt eccs system doesnt let you mess with initial timing very much, i have it set all the way clocked towards the retarded side, and it runs best that way, at any other position it throws off the whole spark range, throwing me into a invisible wall when boost guage goes into 0hg, almost into positive boost, any variance from full clock its like a big fuel shut off feeling, but very abrupt.

i think that the stock efi setting is something lke 26dregrees total advance and likes to be set at 20btdc, with this outrageous amount of retard stock is it really necessary to have a retard box if im going for sds eic, t3/t4@15psi or so, and the stock ignition with really cold plugs and short gaps??? i do want to get a 6al box for the rev limiter and the extra spark, but im wondering if i need the boost retard, seeing that the stock eccs system allows for almost no timing at all?

oh yeah, i can see it being of great help if i were running an NA distributor, that allows for more(any) timing adjustment in a turbo application, and it will net ponies im sure, im just wondering if its needed for a 275-300rwhp application with the stock system that only goes about 26 degrees total advance at the most, its so retarded right now it sounds like a houseboat idling underwater!

I'd be real interested to know what the ignition curve is for the 300zx ECU as well. Len, I'm not sure what you mean about the system not being flexible in initial advance setting - you can set it to whatever you want...I have mine set to 20 degrees BTDC (stock), but when I'm upping the boost more I will retard it some from there, say 15 degrees. It seems to run fine less advanced, just not as responsive off-boost.

It sounds to me like you are running a tooth or two too advanced, as I can adjust my distributor anywhere in the adjustment range (from about 25 BTDC to 10 BTDC) and it idles fine.