HybridZ

Vortec V6 Questions

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I had a couple of questions regarding the potential of a normally aspirated late model EFI Vortec V6. Does the stock fuel injection lend itself to cam upgrades and such? I read a couple of threads regarding supercharged versions which were quite impressive but I am not looking for brute horsepower as much as a daily driver w/ a little more kick than the stock l28. I would apreciate any qualitatitve feedback from someone who made this swap. Also, I was wondering if the JTR setback plates could be used by lengthening the plates and offsetting the motor mounts enough to position the engine close to the firewall.I read some discussion on this issue but was wondering if anyone has attempted this. Thanks for any feedback.

Terry, to put the V6 in the "correct" location, there would be considerable flex and stress trying to use the JTR or custom set back plates. I think a more sound solution would be to fabricate a cross member and then use the V8 motor mounts. My method works, putting mounts on the front of the engine, but if I were to do it again, I'd go for a new crossmember to work under the stock V6 mount locations. How late a V6 are you suggesting? The most recent versions are really improved for smoothness, have good power, great torque etc. I really don't know what works or available for them. The pre-balanceshaft engines have more interchangable parts with the sbc.

JS

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback. John, I saw a couple of used '93-'94 engines locally. I am not really familiar with the differences between years other than what I read in the forum. I was curious how an engine like this would compare to the stock setup. Obviously, the extra 50 horses or so should make a considerable difference and maybe a supercharger could be added later.Did you run yours normally aspirated first or build it with the supercharger? I did a 60 degree V6 in a Ist gen. Rx7 and I basically did what you noted and fabbed a new crossmember w/mounts.Worked well but was considerable work. I agree with Mikelly that an LT1 is a good way to go but I dont know if I need that much power.(hell of a thing to say on this site I guess) Might have to check around on prices though. Later.

Having JUST purchased a vehicle with the Vortec 4.3 in it, and after spending most of the weekend troubleshooting and tuning a small problem that wound up in the shop, I'd recommend going the whole 9 yards and doing an LT1 swapp... only difference I can tell is the lack of two cylinders... You still have all the associated "Fun" of sorting the FI and electronics gremlins... That said, my 95 4dr 4x4 blazer hauls serious butt for a 6 banger...

Mike Kelly icon_cool.gif