HybridZ

GM V6 Overview

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Granted, I haven't read all 600 messages, but the emphasis I've seen on the forum is on turbo and 400+ HP. That's not my bag. I'm looking for a HIGH VALUE swap, with the simplest (most elegant), engine/transmission combo I can find. Not to make it "easy", but because that's what appeals most to me.

I'm probably not the only one who would like a V6 overview. There's a short article in the December 2000 Grassroots Motorsports, but there must be more comprehensive coverage somewhere.

With the little I've read so far, I like the idea of installing a mildly modified 3L+ 60 deg. V6 with T5 transmission in my 240Z, but don't want to proceed without a thorough understanding of the playing field.

Can someone direct me to other people of like mind and/or sources of comprehensive information on the various GM V6s?

I cant be to much help to you but arnt most the 60 degree domestic v6s the small ones. The ford explorer v6 might be 60 but the gm ones are 90 degree. The dodge ones would be nice but are front wheel drive. This would leave the jap ones. i have pondered these for other projects. I would get one from a truck. Toyota, Nissan, Mitsubishi and isuzu all make 3 + liter quad cam v6s. thats where i would head if gm or buick wasnt what you wanted.

Happy hunting,

Douglas

The explorer 4.0 is a 60 degree engine. Only the 210 hp sohc engine should be used. The engine is based on the 2.9 cologne block with siamese bores and longer stroke. A european ford sierra xr4x4 mt75 transmission fits. But a scorpio 2.8/2.9 v6 transmission would be cheaper. If money isnt a concern a nissan vq35 engine could be fun so would a honda nsx engine (i think its called acura in the states). The pontiac grandprix 60 degree 3.4 24v could also be a idea. Theres also a alfa romeo 164 3.0 24v engine. Chrysler has made several 24v v6 engines but i dont how good they are. A bmw m3 inline 6 engine would also fit nice.

Guest Anonymous

Chevy produced a 3.4 EFI DOHC V6 (used in some Berreta's and Lumina Z34) that put out like 225 hp, but the performance industry hasn't supported to many of the smaller narrow angle V6's super well. A stock 3.4 if hooked up to a rear drive tranny (assuming theres an adapter, or a tranny that fits directly) might make a nice modest yet powerful engine for the Z.

A bone stock buick GN turbo 3.8 with a automatic will produce plenty of thrust even stock with the option to turn the boost up for more as long as your careful with fuel mixtures. The motor fits excellently, is well supported in the aftermarkt (and I do mean WELL supported). Of GM's six's its the one I'd personally use if I were going V6, but it is a 90 deg v6.

There of course is the 4.3 V6, chevy was racing these for a while, performance part options are better than than the smaller Chev V6's, but way less than the SBC V8 (although I think some parts will bolt on off the SBC V8 because it shares the design just minus 2 cylinders). They can be built pretty mean, but that doesn't sound like a concern from you post.

Just an opinion of course.

Regards and good luck,

Lone

[ November 02, 2001: Message edited by: lonehdrider ]

I looked at the V6 swap and determined the '97 firebird/camaro 3800 motor with throttle cable (not drive by wire) and T5 (Ford world class T5 used in 3800 cars) was the best bang for the buck. Light, small, 200hp with lots of aftermarket parts available. There is little demand for wrecked 6 cylinder cars, so engines and trannys can be had for pennies on the dollar compared to V8/6 speed cars.

• 1 month later...
Guest Anonymous

Emitch,

I'm glad to see someone else interested in the V6-60 engine. icon_smile.gif I had initally considered a 350chev but due to the weight factor(575#stock)(475#with aluminum heads&intake) I have been trying to research the v6-60. Indeed this engine is not as well supported as the v8& 3.8V6 but there are some good parts available. Agood place to start is the chevrolet power book and GM Performance Parts catalog. These are both available at your local chev dealer.

I need to go now but will add more later.

I'd say the V8, dollar for dollar, wins hands down in the power and torque even with the 100 or so pound penalty. For balance and handling I love the idea of the V6. For those that appreciate engine placement, its fun to see the eyes pop when you open the hood and claim 17+ inches from the front of the engine...to the radiator!

JS

OK, I just have to ask this. Why swap engines at all? I mean, if you aren't after crazy amounts of power like you say, you can have a hella nice street car using the Nissan L6. Despite what some people think, Nissan makes an awesome engine and it can put out 200hp in NA trim quite easily. 200hp in a ~2400lb car is a blast!

Now if you just want a project to be different, then go right ahead. I just thought you may be overlooking the obvious.

A 60' V6 swap would be easy and fairly cheap. Look for a 95 Camaro with the 3.4/T-5 combo. The cast iron 3.4 motor weights in at 350Ibs. Thats 225Ibs.less than an all iron 350 sbc. If you wish to build it for performance purposes, I recommend purchasing the Chevy Power Manual. 250HP N/A is easy to get and as much as 350HP N/A is possible, but requires major mods. Surf the web and you will find other sites dedicated to the V6.

Check out

www.s-series.org/htm/firestorm/firestorm.htm

Mark

Guest Anonymous

Why swap a V6-60 instead of rebuilding a inline 6 nissan? 3 years ago i rebuilt a 260. I had over $1800 in parts and another $1000 in labor and machine work! I believe that you could have a V6-60 and 5-speed trans installed for less than that.

I haven't committed myself to this yet, but I am in the process of doing some research. Two questions I need to have answered.

1)Is the block of the transvese mounted V6-60 3.4l(This came from the factory with aluminum heads) have the same bolt pattern for the bellhousing as the longitudinal engine found in the Camaro?

2)Which 3.4l engine the sfi or the dohc would be the best choice for future mods if down the road I decide I must have more HP?

Gary75z, you can use the WCT-5 bell housing from the V6 Camaro and it will bolt to the FWD block, (I've seen it done). The DOHC motor is no longer made and thus hard to find and requires alot of maintenance. The aluminum head 3.4 SFI would be a better choice, but you are stuck with using the OEM SFI or an expensive aftermarket EFI system. I recommended the Camaro V6/T-5 combo because it is complete and you can convert it to a carbed system using an Edelbrock Performer intake manifold. According to the Chevy Power Manual, the iron heads used on the Camaro motor are capable of producing 1.5HP per cubic inch! so do the math. The aluminum heads are a splayed-valve design like the BBC and do have more power potential, but I know of no one who makes an affordable and streetable performance intake for these heads.

Mark

Guest Anonymous

Mark, Thanks for the info. I called the local chev performance parts dealer and talked to there most"knowledgeable" salesman. He had no idea if the transverse & longitudinal engine had the same bolt pattern. I also talked with two local engine builders they thought it would be the same but were not 100% sure.

I haven't been able to find the weight of a traansverse engine with aluminum heads although according to the chev power manual the transverse bare block is 5# lighter. With aluminum heads I would expect the total weight to be less than 300# icon_biggrin.gif

There is potential here need more info to make an final decision bonk.gif

• 1 month later...
Guest jdllaugh

I recently swapped a 3.4L Camaro v6 into an s10 pickup, replacing the anemic 2.8L. The motors are identical, but the 3.4 is supposed to make 160 hp, with fuel injection. It's a great motor and can be had for low bucks.

I am looking for a good 240z now with the idea of putting a 3.8l Camaro v6 in. I think that is the best deal all around.

The 1996 up 3.8 Camaro motor is rated at 200 hp and lots of performance parts are available. I believe I can use the motor without the catalytic converter, since it's going into a early 70s car. Without the cat, and with high flow exhaust, cold air intake, etc, I believe the engine will make 240 hp. That would make a 240z fly, especially since the car would end up lighter than stock!

I recently priced a '97 motor/trans/ecu combo with all accessories for $1k at a local salvage. Seems like a great deal to me.

JamesL