HybridZ

starion conquest basic turbo engine questions

heinekenns

I never knew about this turbo rear wheel drive combonation. So I have some basic questions. What I've gathered from too many hours on the internet:

2.6 liter inline turbo 4 cyl.

5 speed trany

SOHC

I think it has

... and thats about it ...

can someone answer any of these or direct me to a website with the answers:

1) is the engine free-reving; does it like to (read "can it?) rev to 8 grand (it has balance shafts from what I've read)

2) how much power have people made in these cars?

3) easy/cheap to upgrade?

4) how strong was it built from the factory?

5) how strong is the tranny?

6) how strong is the block - heavy duty bearings, thick cylinder walls...etc.etc.

7) is this a good engine for sustaned high HP loads?

8) whats the engine code for these things

9) how cheap and accesable are these engines in the US

thanks everyone

This donk was also in the starion and aussie trucks and sigmas. Some of the aussie have had good results with the engine. Its not much of a rever and the 2.0 lt engine made more power from the factory, But it does make good torque for a 4. I think its still in production in aussie with a 3 valve head. I could stand corrected on that though. Do a search on the aussie sites like AUTOSPEED, FAST FOURS and HOT FOURS. They are bound to have something. The later two have become very ricey over the years so try some ofthe past issiues.

Cheers

Douglas

Guest Anonymous

I am the owner of a 12sec 89 Conquest TSI.Ive owned 7 of them so I'll try to answer as much of your questions as possible.The Starion/Conquest was made from 83 to 89 with the best years being 88-89 due to not having any fuel cut in the ecu,and a stronger trans,axles,and slightly a larger intercooler.The engine is purely made by Mitsu,not DSM..It is a 4 cyl 2.6ltr turbo(G54B)..It puts out 188hp at 10.5psi in stock trim.These engines can make awesome power,and are bulletproof once the balance shafts are removed(big problem in these engines with seizing).The power is also limited due to the shitty designed 2 injector EFI and small TDO5 12A turbo which maxes out at about 225hp.If you want to make any real power youll have to step up to a 20G,t66,T3/T4,even a Super16G..That is the easy part..The hard part is youll definetly need expensive stand alone engine managment,fuel enrichments,ect ect...I can go on forever.I guess alls I can say is the car is highly capable and reliable when setup correctly.The G54B will rev to 8000rpm easily with the right cam,turbo,and 3inch exhaust.Let me warn you though..If you dont have patience,dont buy one.They can be real headaches until you learn them.Ive been racing Starion/Conquests for the last 6 years and I am surprised to learn something new every day.If you want any detailed info on the car,feel free to ask for my #..I can say Im pretty much a StarQuest know it all(lol)and can use some good info on my 83zxcoupe.

Guest Anonymous

Hey Scottie,,Yep,I found it.Im gonna need all the help I can get with my swap so it looks like this is the place.Wow,,you didnt sell that peice on the page I sent?Surprised,thats a nice quality peice.I can tell by the clean welds..Nice work.Keep posting it up there.Alot of them guys are still beginers and get a little scared when they see something custom.Most of them like to stick with the basic 14G to 20G upgrades.Throw it up there every couple of days.Someone will recognize the great quality and take it..

• 4 weeks later...

I knew that I was on the right track. I was going to do this swap a while back but somebody mention that it was a step backward to put a four banger in a Z. I will tell you this much. On a certified scale ,my 240Z weighs 2350 lbs with a 1/4 tank of gas and my conquest weighs 3000 with 1/4 tank of gas. The 240Z came with 120 plus horsepower from the factory and I heard the engine weighs about 400lbs. My conquest came with 145 horsepower from the factory but now has 175 horsepower from modifications. I think that this engine should weigh less, not sure(somebody please weigh this engine). There is a company that caters to these conquest cars and the sell drag race crate engines and other hi performance parts. I have a video of a conquest that did 10 plus seconds in the 1/4 against a 12 sec mustang. For street power my conquest is plenty fast but the same intercooled turbo powerplant in the z with the potential of 300 plus horsepower would be insanely fast. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Anonymous

Ninja..

just thought of something.. I don't think the l24 longblock weighs 400 lbs, at least 200-something..

being as my dad and I had to carry one about 1/8 mile from a barn to the garage. I know one thing for sure, we aren't THAT strong icon_razz.gif

personally I think it would make a good swap.. I've heard of people put in sr20det's and making em pretty fast

-980mak

A good source for info on the Starion/Conquest, including actual cost of upgrades, is Top-End Performance. A weak link on the engine is the cylinder head with the emission control "jet valves" in it. They are very prone to cracking between the intake and exhaust valves, which means you can sometimes find a car for cheap and there are alternate heads available aftermarket. I've got a Starion ESI-R (intercooled turbo, factory box flare fenders). It makes a good road car and comes with 16" wheels, leather, LSD, and vented discs all around. These cars are grossly undertuned from the factory, with throttle body injectors and a restrictive exhaust, but even in that state of tune they are capable of impressive performance at highway speeds.

DAW

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Daw,,Good points on the cylinder head.The whole trick with the Mitsu 2.6T engine is keeping it cool.As for the jet valves,they are a problem area sometimes sticking open and causing a lean condition.What I do is take out the valves and plug them with with 4 aluminum bolts aka jet valve elim kit.Then I cut the steel shrouds off the combustion side and weld them shut..Another good alternative is the early Caravan head as they are jetless.You can gut the head and replace the valvetrain with your C/S stuff.or stay mechanical and throw in your C/S cam...

Guest Anonymous

A few are for reason being is the 4G63 motor is a better bang for the buck than the Starquest G54B because of the far superior ignition/fuel setup.Everything is already there to make big HP without spending big..In reality though,with stand alone engine managment and direct port injection,the Starquest motor will outrev,out flow,and out perform the 4G63.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MegaShaft_2000
Originally posted by 980mak:

Ninja..

just thought of something.. I don't think the l24 longblock weighs 400 lbs, at least 200-something..-980mak

The L24 weighs quite a bit, being an inline 6. The block looks huge compared to a V6, mostly because it is long and tall.

I've read 425 lbs most of the places I've looked. Keep in mind that the guys who swap to small block chevy's only gain around 100 lbs... so the two engines are within ~100 lbs of each other.

Guest Anonymous

Exactly right on the weight, the Chevy with cast iron stuff on it goes between 550-575 pounds. The Ford V8 is about a hundred pounds lighter and the Mopar SB is between the two weight wise or there abouts.

Regards,

Lone